Chapter 42: New Leaf

Years later

Legolas strode through the familiar halls of Mirkwood, greeting servants along the way. They all return the prince's greeting with forced smiles and divert their eyes. He has not been the same since the incident years ago. Some of them were present and already working at the palace, some were new and had only heard rumors of the elven maid Legolas was in love with. The elven guards would talk about her in whispers, afraid of being heard. Talked about her eyes that shone like bright stars and her voice that could lull anyone to a calming state within moments.

Legolas knew this of course. The whispers inside the palace walls. Even his own father and mother could be caught eyeing him worriedly time and time again. Like he was going to crumble at any given moment. Yet, no one saw the prince shed another tear after the incident. It was as if he had easily made peace with it. Distracted with his thoughts he did not anticipate the sudden collision as he turned towards the narrow hall that would lead to his father's study.

The thing, or rather, the person he had collided with was thrown backwards, bright golden hair thrown in disarray.

"Muindor!" It screams, half surprised and half annoyed. Legolas watches her, on the ground. Her eyes burning as she stared up at him defiantly. Legolas smiled affectionately, enough for the maids who stood watch to fluster. He offers a hand which the little girl takes with a huff.

"Where were you heading in such a rush, little fireball?" He asks, raising an eyebrow in suspicion. The little girl narrows her eyes at him as she dusts of her skirts and flipping her bright, almost silver, hair over her shoulder, she raises her chin. A very familiar chin which she had gotten from her mother.

"To the training grounds, Falasdir promised me he would teach me how to wield a sword."

There was a glint in the young prince's eyes a slight curve on his lips as he stared at her. She barely reached his shoulders but she was growing quiet fast, it almost saddened him. He remembered being able to just carry her and walk around the forest, explaining things as she stared at everything with wonder. She still did, although she now preferred to hold his hand as they walked instead of being carried.

"Is that so?" He asks, placing a soft hand on top of her head. She looked away from him, a blush on her cheeks.

"Because someone doesn't have the time anymore," she pouts, her fiery eyes losing their fierceness, but only for a moment until they focus back on him, her face still flushed. "But no matter, I vow to surpass him, especially with my skills in archery." She sticks out her tongue and waits for Legolas' to react to which he does, with a burst of laughter.

"Well, how about you show me your progress after my meeting with Ada? Hmm?" He asks and finds her face light up as she nods excitedly. Legolas' chuckles again as she takes hold of his hand, her small fingers barely grasping it. She pulls him with her, her sandals tapping on the floor and echoing across the hall. The palace staff stood watch, smiles on their faces. They knew the little princess was one of the reasons why Legolas was still here instead of sailing to Valinor when he should have.

"Easy now, Annuniel," He says, smiling as he lets her lead him to the study. From where he walked, following her, their hands entwined, her back to him, she looked very much like a little version of Thranduil. Her silver like hair was much like their father's. She pushes through the door of the study, interrupting Thranduil and Mantheniel who were clearly in an argument with Mantheniel barely concealing the frown on her face. Legolas had a hunch it had something to do with the message that came from Lord Elrond.

"Annuniel, were you not supposed to go to Falasdir?" Mantheniel asked kindly, although there was an edge to her voice and Legolas knew they had given Falasdir the order to take Annuniel training today. He stared sheepishly at his father who looked at him with surprise. Probably for taking Annuniel with him. Legolas had not realized how important this meeting was going to be. Annuniel, childishly unaware of everything nodded and proceeded to take a seat in one of the chairs inside the room, her feet dangling above the floor.