Chapter 14 - Boys Who Change Their Plans

There was something about knowing that somebody out their liked spending time with you

There was something about knowing that somebody out their liked spending time with you. It gave you some sort of validation, when their face lit up every time they saw yours. It gave you a secret thrill whenever they said your name out loud. And there were 'good morning' and 'good night' texts that you wouldn't get enough of.

"Also, if he changes his plans for you, husband him up already," June suggested, pushing another bobby pin to hold my braid in place.

"Is husband him up even a thing?" I looked at her through the mirror, raising my eyebrows and biting my lip to stifle a smile.

She made a face as she said, "It is now that I've said it. Seriously though, doesn't he have a business to look after? Why's he staying another day?"

"He said he wanted to spend time with me alone. You and Jared were there for the last two days."

"You two live in the same city. You can have your alone time there." She didn't let me respond as she added, "I get it. We're in Maui."

I chuckled and darted my eyes from my head down to my toe in the mirror. I wore a white long skirt with a slit that would occasionally show one long slightly-tanned leg and a brown silky shirt tucked into it. June had offered me the skirt when she heard that Silas and I were staying yet another day in Maui after Jared and she would fly back to NYC.

"I can't believe that it's happening though," she was saying, finally done with my fishtail braid.

"What?" I turned to her. She looked small under the higher ceiling of this room. "Me finally dating someone?"

"No." She shook her head and sat down on the edge of the bed, very casually. "Just you getting laid."

A grin crossed my lips as I sat beside her and held her hand. She rested our intertwined hands on her jeans-clad thigh and looked at it, suddenly quiet.

"Are you sure you won't be leaving with us? We still have your return ticket." She stole a cautious glance at me.

"Are you suggesting that I do not get laid?" I chuckled.

"No," she laughed heartily. "You look happy and I'm glad for that. But if in any way he makes you feel uncomfortable, I'm just one call away. I'll get you back to home immediately."

"I'll still call you to tell what happens with him. Don't worry about me. And he and I, won't be sharing a room, June."

She kind of ignored my teasing words and went on, "After all these years of trying to set you up with people just to see you this happy, Mr. Eye-candy swoops in and everything changes. I hope everything stays like this."