Chapter 10 - Mad World

I wasn't sure exactly how to act before both of the brothers

I wasn't sure exactly how to act before both of the brothers. It occurred to me to try to slip off before something more awkward took place. But nothing could be more awkward than this. It was making me nervous too. This probably had something to do with their appearances as well.

Silas and Adrian were unmistakably good-looking, in a similar way. I finally realized that how many times I had told myself that or described them in my head. But seeing them together facing me petrified me. Adrian was more boyish-looking with a friendly open smile accessorized by dimples even though he was the older one. Silas, however, was more prominent and rough-looking as if he had seen and experienced things that Adrian hadn't. I didn't want to think about how his body looked under that shirt even though I had only seen his back.

It really helped that both of them found me attractive. Growing up, I had always been slightly nervy, with long skinny legs, zero in the height department, and very much acne-prone. Now when I observed myself in the mirror, it surprised me to realize that I hadn't changed much since the freshman year of my college. Probably, I was less prone to my occasional skin break-outs.

Anyhow, the fact that they were respecting my silence comforted me a bit. I, myself, didn't feel the need to fill in. Adrian chewed his food silently while Silas simply watched the waves crash against the shore.

My phone rang suddenly, startling three of us.

"Excuse me." I offered them a sheepy smile while I struggled the device out of my purse and rose from the seat.

"Thank God you called," I exhaled, my heels clicking on the floor loudly as I closed the distance between me and the railing. The smell of the ocean felt cloying and saltier than usual. I wrinkled my nose.

"Why? What's wrong? Did he kiss you?" June's idea of something being wrong was more right. But she didn't need to know that to terrorize me later.

"No." I rolled my eyes. "Silas is here."

"What?!"

I held the phone slightly away from my ear.

"Exactly."

I stole a quick glance at the brothers. They were speaking but it looked like they weren't willing to. Back at observing the blue water shimmering under the setting sun, I added, mesmerized although, "He says that he is here for business too, helping Adrian out. This is so weird."

There was an inappropriate giggle from the other side of the phone followed by June's voice, "I bet both of the brothers are here to see who wins you first. Wait-"

I knitted my eyebrows and waited.

"This is so cool." Her voice cracked with excitement. "You are going to have so much fun with this. Two of them worshipping at your feet."

"No," I snapped almost dramatically. The couple from the nearest table frowned at me, clearly annoyed. I lowered my voice, "Think with your brain, June, for once."