Part 81

Connie walked out of the hospital pulling the blue hoodie tighter around her frame. Leaning against the wall she lifted a hand to her forehead feeling the dull aching return. The last thing she needed right now was the pain in the ass mother-in-law turning up, especially when she knew nothing of their situation.

She let the cold air wash over her, attempting to let it release some kind of tension within her but it didn't seem to budge. Pulling her phone out of her pocket she was unaware of anything around her. "I was wandering where you were hiding." Connie jumped looking up before releasing a breath. "Charlie, you scared me. I'm hardly hiding."

He nodded passing over a cup of coffee causing the corners of her lips to turn up. "How'd you know I was out here?" "Elliot said you seemed upset..." She nodded leaning back against the wall again as she looked into the distance. "I know it's not the same, but I'm always here for you. For anything you, Grace or this one could need." Connie looked up to him with her eyes glazing over as she nodded.

A single tear rolled down her cheek as he placed his cup down on the table beside him before enveloping her in a gentle hug. She said nothing but let his arms comfort her as they stood together.

Minutes passed before Connie stood up wiping a hand underneath her eyes. "Want to talk about it?" "Ugh... It's nothing, really. Just Sam's mother Audrey turned up, she's the patient they wanted an opinion on." Charlie moved around the table with her as they took a seat. "Why does that name sound familiar?" "Because she is the biggest bi-" "Understood." Connie rolled her eyes with a small smile before sighing again.

"She thinks Sam is still in America. She isn't aware he was ill and she sure as hell doesn't know he's got two children with me." "Oh Connie." She shook her head resting an arm against the table. "It's fine, I just don't know how he's going to begin explaining this one to her. He's always tried to please her, do everything he could to impress her but being with me couldn't be a bigger contrast to that."

Upstairs Elliot walked through the corridors bumping into Sam. "Ah, the surgery went well?" "No problems, I thought Connie would still be with you." He nodded quickly knowing that for some reason, there was something he was missing. "She is, just getting some air." Sam frowned before dismissing it and heading into the office.

By the time Connie returned upstairs, Sam was busy with a patient once again. "Ah Connie... Is there something I'm missing?" She turned to face Elliot as he caught up to her, walking along the corridor towards Audrey's side room. "What do you mean?" "It's just Mrs Strachan said that her son was in America, unless I'm mistaken and she has another I'm sure he is here."

With a roll of her eyes she continued towards the room, pausing briefly outside. "He hasn't told her he's back, I don't plan on letting her know anytime soon either." Pushing the door open she walked towards the bed. "Right Audrey, we've managed to get you a sooner theatre slot. We just need to run through the risks with you and then we can get you prepped."

Connie pushed her tongue into her cheek refusing to let the woman before her aggravate her. "Any questions?" "One. Who was stupid enough to let that happen? Must have been quite an accident." She nodded towards her bump as she held onto the documents she needed her to sign. "Well, for your information it is my second child and it wasn't an accident."

Passing over the small clipboard she waited for Audrey to sign the relevant consent forms before glancing up to Elliot. "Right can we make sure theatre is prepped. I'd like to get Mrs Strachan in and out as quick as possible." She glanced at Audrey with a sarcastic grin which she swiftly imitated.

Her attention was snapped up as the door was pushed open. "Con any chance I could talk to you for a moment?" Looking to him she sighed internally as Audrey sat forwards. "Sam? What on earth are you doing here, I thought you were still in America." "Mum?" He looked between both women before Connie ran a hand across her forehead.

"You knew my son was at this hospital and you said nothing? Shows your true professionalism doesn't it?" "A patient's personal life is none of my business, so yes it does. If he didn't tell you there must have been a reason for that." Audrey scoffed turning back to Sam. "Anything else you forgot to mention to me? Like maybe why you came back and didn't tell me?" "I had cancer."

The room fell deathly silent as Connie pushed her tongue into her cheek facing away from the bed. "What? Why wouldn't you have told me Sam?" He shrugged shaking his head as he stepped forwards. "To be honest, you weren't the one on my mind when I returned here." She noticed his glance towards Connie before she frowned.

"Her? Please Sam, you can clearly see she's made her own mistakes without you adding yourself into the mix once again." "Mistakes?" "She's on about Grace and me being pregnant. Like I said to you myself, both I and the father knew what was happening." She looked towards Sam before heading for the door. "And the father is right here, you could at least acknowledge me." "Oh this does get better by the minute... She got her claws in again did she? I thought you had more of a brain Sam."

He shook his head pacing away from the bed. "Don't talk about her like that Mum. You might not like it, but I love her and the truth is I love my daughter's too." "They're both yours? So not only did you fail to mention the small move in countries, but you didn't tell me of my grandchild-" "Because he didn't know. He was in America, we were here. Not that I see how any of it matters." "It matters because I'm his mother-" "And I'm his fiancée. Something else I'm sure you won't like."

Audrey looked towards Sam who was smiling across at Connie. "You asked her to marry you?" He nodded not moving his eyes from her until he noticed how quiet his mother had fallen her. "Well in that case-" "Save it Mum. When you've grown up and got over whatever issues you have with Connie, come and find me. I hope the surgery goes well."

Sam left the room with nothing else to say as Connie quickly followed him into the office. "Sam?" He turned around shaking his head before pulling her into a small hug. "I love you, and I'm sorry she said whatever she did to you." She laughed looking up to him. "You think I listened?" He smirked rolling his eyes before placing a gentle kiss to her lips. "I love you-" "It's a good thing I love you enough to ignore the pain in the ass of a mother-in-law I'm gaining then isn't it?" He smirked kissing her once more before they separated returning to what they were doing before.