Part 27

Here's a chapter for Molly because I know she likes this sorta thing ;)

Connie had taken the day off from the ED to catch up on the admin day she should have had last week. Ever since Sam's treatment had begun they'd got into a routine.

She would pick him up before her shift, staying for the first hour or so until he drifted off to sleep. Then she'd go down into the ED giving him some time to rest while running the department for three hours. Connie would return upstairs for the final hour of his treatment keeping him company as he woke up.

After he'd finished she would take him back to Grace who would watch films with him until they both fell asleep. So it wasn't the perfect situation, but they were making it work.

Connie didn't regret missing the time from work, but it meant she was snowed under whenever she did finally get round to focusing on it. She sighed taking a seat at the table looking to the paperwork sprawled out before her.

Getting through as much as she could, as quick as she could left her bored and tired. She checked her phone to see a missed call from Sam and she panicked. Desperately dialling him back she barely waited for an answer before hearing his phone ringing from outside.

Walking to the front door she pulled it open seeing his smile. "Hey you-" "Hey, I tried to call but figured you were busy." She nodded stepping aside letting him come in. "Yeah I've just been doing paperwork-" "Catching up on what you're missing because of me you mean?" "Noooo-" "Yeeees..."

Connie smirked as he wrapped his hands around her waist. She pressed her hands to his chest before feeling his lips caress hers. She slipped a hand up and around his neck holding him closer.

The moment was broken by Grace as she ran down the stairs before flying through the hallway. "Sam! Sam! Sam!" He broke from Connie's lips with a laugh looking down as Grace came charging into them. Sam's hand pressed to the small of Connie's back keeping her upright as Grace hugged him.

"Hey cutie, have you been good for your Mummy?" She nodded innocently as Connie smiled watching him pick her up. With Grace at her level Connie leant in and placed a kiss to her cheek.

Connie turned away from them heading into the dining room. "Woah... When I said catching up I didn't mean rewriting every document linked to the ED." She smirked looking down to her desk piling them up. "It's not as bad as it looks."

Sam nodded placing Grace down onto the floor as she ran into the living room. "Is this because you've been coming with me? Connie?" She shook her head glancing down before he held onto her wrist. "Are you this behind because of me?" "Because I'm in the department less hours, yes but that's not because of you!"

He turned away from her sinking down onto one of the chairs leaving Connie with her hands on her hips. She quickly walked towards him, not hesitating as she straddled his waist. "Con-" She didn't give him a chance to talk as she pushed her lips onto his.

Her hands worked their way up to his shoulders while his skimmed down her waist, settling onto her hips. Sam deepened the kiss before gently parting from her. "Shut up." He smiled dropping his head as her forehead rest against his. "Love you-" "I'll never get tired of hearing you say that you know."

She smirked brushing her thumb across his cheek before kissing his forehead. "You here for dinner?" "You spoil me." She rolled her eyes removing herself from his lap just for his hands to pull her back as he stood. "Something you wanted Mr Strachan?"

He stepped forwards letting his lips hungrily press to hers. She found herself desperate for his touch once again as she stepped into his embrace further. Connie regained herself pulling back with a grin. "I need to make dinner, and you need to make sure you're resting." She pushed his chest before walking into the kitchen leaving him with Grace.

Almost two hours had passed by with Connie flitting between cooking and paperwork. There had been barely any noise from the other room since Sam had gone in there bar the occasional laugh from Grace. Connie had finished what she was doing deciding to check her living room was still in one piece.

Her breath caught in her throat as she looked to the sight before her. Tears threatened her eyes as she remained slightly hidden behind the wall. Grace was laid across Sam's arm as he remained propped up beside her, looking down over her drowsy body. "You're like you're Mummy aren't you...I wish she could see how much I love you both, I couldn't imagine not being around you now. Grace Beauchamp you're an amazing, beautiful little girl and anyone who doesn't fall in love with you is mad."

Connie continued to listen feeling herself both want to draw back and push forwards at his words. "How your Daddy doesn't see how incredible you both are I will never understand." Grace rolled over curling into Sam, lifting her hand up to his chest grabbing a fistful of his shirt. Sam laughed wrapping his arm around her tighter resting his head to the floor beside her. Warily he placed a gentle kiss to her temple before resuming his position of watching her sleep.

Connie continued to watch before Sam caught sight of her. Standing in the door way. "Sorry-" "No don't apologise..." She blinked a few times clearing the tears from her eyes causing Sam to reach a hand out. "Come here..."

She walked in sitting on the floor beside him. Sam lifted his head laying it across her lap bringing a smile to her face. "You okay?" "I'm fine Sam..." "Okay. You comfortable?" She nodded with a smile leaving Sam where he was.

The way Grace had clung onto Sam showed how much she had missed the father figure in her life, she needed someone now more than ever it seemed. Connie couldn't bring herself to say the words she needed to, to Sam right now but she knew she wouldn't be able to lie for much longer.