CHAPTER 7

THE FOUR POINTS

As I turned the delicate pages of the old book, the first page reiterated the book's title, The Four Points.

I read about diamonds and their unique place in the story of civilization. I was brought into a world of magic, myth, superstition, legend, and supernatural belief. From the earliest of times, the diamond was well-regarded as a magical intermediary between man and the unseen forces of nature that governed his fate. The diamond's awe-inspiring strength and durability came to signify valor and virility, invincibility and good fortune. Its unearthly light symbolized a higher power and spiritual illumination.

The first diamond was discovered in India. From these early times, the diamond was embedded into the very soul of India, its myths and legends woven into the fabric of Hindu culture. Hindus believed that diamonds were created when lightning bolts struck rocks. Astrologically, diamonds were associated with sacred moonlight. They were worn in battle as a symbol of courage and virtue, to instill the wearer with magical strength, and more practically, to deflect weapon blows. The book included translated passages from a sixth-century A.D. Indian text, called the Ratna Pariksha, it described the protective powers of the diamond in detail, asserting that the presence of a diamond means that dangers will recede, and that the diamond will protect against serpents, fire, poison, sickness, thieves, floods, and evil spirits.

It is said that in India, where the first known diamonds were discovered, a great evil fell upon the Hindu people. A cave of diamonds was discovered, diamonds so powerful they gave their holder the power to heal the sick and wounded; to read other's minds and take control of their actions; they gave the power of sight, to see into the future; and the power to control earth, wind, rain, and fire. This legend told of the good Hindu people that guarded this cave. They knew that if the diamonds fell into the wrong hands, evil would befall their lands. One day two strangers named Erebus and Akeldama arrived to the Hindu land after hearing stories about the secret cave of diamonds. The young Hindu queen, Adhira, fell in love with Erebus. She betrayed her husband and her people. She was seduced by the strange visitor, misled by the man whom she thought she loved. He tricked the queen into showing him the location of the secret cave. When the queen showed Erebus and Akeldama the cave of diamonds, they used the diamonds' powers to kill her and everyone who protected the sacred cave. Only four people escaped from the slaughter. These four were shamans, spell-makers, magic-men. They created a diamond shape around the two murdering foreigners, casting a spell to trap their souls and powers into the diamond for all eternity. Since the diamonds' powers had been used for evil, some of the diamonds in the cave had turned black, and were said to hold the dark black souls of the strangers. The white diamonds that remained held the powers of good. These diamonds shone brighter than ever, signifying the Hindus' triumph over evil. It is said that every century since, one hundred human Diamonds are born; this number signifies the number of people that guarded the first cave of diamonds. These people all share a common trait; a diamond-shaped birthmark. Out of the hundred born, only four possess the supernatural powers of the diamond. These four chosen ones are called Points. The four people chosen are said to be inherently good and deserving of these powers, people who will never use their powers for evil. These powers are the same powers the original shamans were ordained with after becoming the victors of the battle between good and evil. These four are the chosen gatekeepers of good.

I stopped reading and touched my neck. I could never see my birthmark without looking at my reflection in two mirrors, but I knew it was there. I closed the book. Sitting dumbfounded, I wondered, could any of this be real? I sat there contemplating the things that I was able to do that didn't make sense.

My mom came in with a plate of dinner, giving me a reprieve from my swirling thoughts. I tried to eat, but I didn't have much of an appetite. I lazily laid on my side, playing with the plate in front of me on my bed. My mom came back about a half an hour later to gather my dish.