CHAPTER 4

STRANGERS

The rest of the day I stayed in bed. Valerie and I talked a little. We became friendly, but most of the time I slept. My mom came to visit shortly after lunch. When Valerie saw her she decided to take a walk to give us some privacy.

"Erika," my mom said as she stood at the foot of my bed. Her voice quivered and her normally smooth brow wrinkled as she searched for her words.

"I'm sorry for the way I reacted yesterday. You know, when the school called, they didn't tell me there was a shooting. I was just told that you were involved in some trouble and you were being held for observation. When I got to the hospital I was only told that you were involved in a scuffle but not to worry because you weren't hurt. I didn't know... what happened. I guess I misunderstood and thought you caused some trouble at your school. I never would have yelled at you had I known."

"It's okay, Mom, it's not a big deal." I fidgeted with my fingers, picking at the nonexistent dirt under my nails. It was weird seeing my mom so uncomfortable.

"And when Valerie mentioned how you stopped the shooter. The shooting didn't even connect with me. I was upset because I was called out of work; I thought I might get fired. I wasn't thinking. I didn't know what really happened until the doctor explained it all to me yesterday. But then they wouldn't let me go back in your room because I had upset you. I'm so sorry Erika, I really didn't know." My mother's mouth quivered and a sob threatened her voice. She tried hard to hold back her tears but one escaped anyways, trailing down her tired face. She caught it with a crumpled tissue she had hidden in her hand. My mom often didn't pay attention to my words, so I understood when she explained that Valerie's words yesterday went in one ear and out the other. My mom worked two jobs to support us and I felt bad that she was concerned she might get fired. My dad left when I was seven followed by my mom's second husband who was gone right after his son was born when I was nine.

"Mom, it's okay."

"But it's not, Erika. I made you cry. I haven't seen you cry since you were a baby."

"I was just tired, Mom. I'm okay. Really." My voice was the one quivering now.

My mom came over and hugged me. She hadn't done that since I was little. I tried in vain not to cry, but the tears fell anyway.

"I love you, Erika. I don't know what I would have done if anything happened to you." My mom wiped away her tears.

"Nothing happened, Mom. I'm okay."

"I still can't believe you single-handedly stopped the shooting. I am so proud of you." My mom used the crumpled up tissue to wipe away the remaining traces of emotion as her tone changed to one of celebration and pride.

My mom and I had two firsts that day. One, it was the first time she ever apologized to me, and two, it was the first time she ever said she was proud of me. My mom never showed much emotion, a trait she passed down to me. We weren't the kind of people to say I love you, or to give hugs and kisses, nor were we ever ones for friendly conversation. We not only acted alike, but we looked a little alike as well. I got my dark hair from her, but my pale freckled easily burned skin came from my father. My mom had more of a yellowish tinge to her skin. My eyes were a mix of her brown eyes and my father's green, giving me, as she would say, "cat's eyes", a hazel mix of green, brown, and yellow. One thing I definitely got from her was my stubbornness and tendency to push people away.

After a few minutes of sitting quietly together, I broke the awkward silence.

"Where are Kai and Alyssa?"

Kai was my cute little game-obsessed seven-year-old brother and Alyssa was my perfect straight-A student, class president, older sister. I was... well, I don't know what I was. I wasn't the cute little one and I wasn't the beautiful smart one. I guess I was just the middle one. Middle of the road in every way.