Chapter 31: A Young Man's Dream

Start from the beginning

My parents weren't home when Bridget was leaving with two suitcases. She couldn't miss her voyage from Greenock to New York. With the money she had saved and her motivation, she finally departed Great Britain. She promised to write for me from across the Atlantic and to return whenever the condition was better. However, when Mama read the letter she left, she lost her balance and broke into tears.

My sister was not coming back.

* * *

"Cambridge?"

I jolted slightly at the sound of the husky voice. I didn't exactly break the news. The owner of the voice leaned on one of the cars we were remodeling.

"It's got the best engineering program," I muttered, folding my arms across him.

"Aye, lad, I understand but..." he took off his flat cap, revealing his face. Beads of sweat embedded in it.

Little did Papa know, business had never taken my interest. I longed to live and pursue a career independently, which was in mechanical engineering. Diving into its studies and doing research served as my remedy. After the revolution, the sparks of innovation emerged. Motors started replacing horsecarts. There was a change in technology after the revolution raged a few years ago.

We were transitioning to the modern world. I wanted to be a part of that change.

Such new knowledge intrigued aspiring engineers like me, and I had my eyes set on pursuing a career in it. Spending time in the local library perusing through science and engineering books was not to be missed in hopes I would be able to enroll in University of Cambridge for their prestigious program in the short future. With my father around, my ambition had to come to a halt as I was bound in his control. The idea of me working independently out of my father's sight never seemed to please him. He was always against the idea of a business heir putting an interest in a filthy field, he'd say. However, I feigned studying business in the library. He expected I'd dive into a pile of books about taxes and capitalisms, when I dug into topics about the mechanism of steam engines.

My true passion had kept me alive for the time being. Ever since I graduated not long ago, I'd spent time dropping by in my friends' garages only to help them fixing their motorcars and bikes or mine as well as working in Norris's garage.

Peter Norris. A friend of mine introduced me to him and shortly, Norris discovered my interest in automotive and engineering. I was too young back then, but he soon found out that I had a potential skill that would be beneficial to his garage. Years later, he scouted me to work for him, something that I had been enjoying while I was still holding tight to my hope of being enrolled in Cambridge. My duties at the garage didn't just involve physical demands. With the knowledge I gained in the library, Norris put me behind the desk most of the time, dealing with calculations while motors came and went. But he agreed to have me there for a couple of hours.

Papa always gathered my working with Norris brought the family status down, given I was the supposed heir of the Haywood estate. A Haywood heir working for a local garage sounded just as disdainful to him.

"Engineering is not for lads like you. Leave it to the middle-class men." He scolded me once at Norris' garage.

Before I left, Norris put a hand on my back for comfort. Though he seemed a little tough, Norris was a man with the heart of gold and compassion–a complete opposite of my father. In his late fifties, he had lived alone after his wife had died. Following the fact that he was estranged with his own son, he had been a caring father figure to me. We had been quite open with each other. Norris knew everything that happened to me and my family. He knew about my desire to go to Cambridge. He was one of the people that fueled it. Never did he miss a day giving me encouragement.

"The Highlands has no place for me, Norris." I said as I picked up a wrench from a nearby desk and crouched down to unscrew a tire.

"Did you talk to yer family?" he asked.

I shook my head. One screw was loose. "The decision wouldn't arrive until the end of the month."

"There are some motorcars manufacturers opening in the area. I know some folks working down there. In case yer looking for a part-time while studying." Norris said as he put his hand on my shoulder to give fatherly support. "Ye know ye always have my support but...will ye be alright?"

I looked up. His eyes shot a worried expression.

"Aye. There is nothing to worry about." I shrugged.

"Worry? Lad, 'f course I'm worried." he sighed. "Yer like a son I never had."

"It's alright." I calmed him. "I'll be fine. After all, an education in Cambridge will ensure a better future."

Norris took a deep breath and put a hand on my shoulder. "Lang may yer lum reek, lad."

He wished me well and good luck.

* * *

Author's Note: How does everybody like Cornelius' full POV? Can't wait to discover more? Stay tuned for next chapters! If you enjoy this chapter, please vote and comment! Let me know what you think :D