Chapter 23

Preoccupied with the conversation she had had with the marsh spirit, Lilliana had found it difficult to concentrate all morning. After a bad night of sleep, she had had to deal with the rowers arguing with her first thing in the morning. She was grateful Perrin had stepped in, at last, because at least Perrin had also gotten fed up enough that she had done her best to get them to be quiet. Having refused to listen to reason, she had been running out of ideas of how to explain that they were not going back to the city.

But while the four rowers had not seemed convinced, at least Perrin made them stop arguing.

Ever since talking with the marsh spirit, however, Lilliana had felt uneasy. And she found herself staring at the marshes that were still so close.

So when NAME had cried out and the shaking of the earth began, Lilliana was already more than ready to start running when she saw the fog disappear without warning over the marsh.

The ever present fog gone and strange sounds and shaking? Lilliana could only think of bad things coming from all of that.

"This is not our fight," Dominick said inside of her head.

How can you say that? She though furiously, Something is wrong in the marsh and the marsh spirit did help us these past few days.

"Begrudgingly."

Even so. We need to make sure she's ok.

Splashing into the marshlands, Lilliana glanced behind her and saw Perrin following close behind with her sword out. The four rowers were staying back, to Lilliana's relief.

Then she felt a tickle inside of her head, like cold water on the back of her neck. She recognized it from when Dominick had linked to her strength on the airship.

Dominick?

"You came back."

"What is it girlie?"

Both voices rang inside her head at the same time. Dominick's she recognized immediately, but the other voice was strange to her. It was female, unlike the mysterious voice that had spoken to her in the prison.

"Continue back towards the graveyard."

That's a two day journey!

"What are you talking about?"

"They are between you and the graveyard, less than an hour."

Dominick... recognition dawned on her, Dominick the marsh spirit is speaking to me. She is directing us farther into the marsh.

"Yes, it is I." The marsh spirit said, though Dominick remained quiet for a moment.

"You know," Dominick said at last, "I'm already getting tired of you hearing voices in your head. What, is your head a tavern for other spirits?"

Shut up Dominick. Marsh spirit, what is happening?

"Hurry."

A cold feeling dropped in her stomach. She looked over her shoulder at Perrin, who looked confused, but strangely excited.

"Come on, something bad is happening. I think the marsh spirit is in trouble."

"Oh great, that ten year old girl." Perrin said, rolling her eyes. "What's the problem now?"

"I don't know yet, but we have to hurry."

"Where are we going?"

"Um, farther into the marsh." Lilliana said, turning away and hurrying into the wetlands. There was no path to follow this time.