Chapter 12

Perrin caught up with Lilliana just in time to see Tancred brandish his knife. Flames burst from the ground, encircling the tall man he faced. The tall man, his skin colored red from flames, stood firm and unafraid.

Lilliana had stopped on another balcony above the street just out of sight from the soldiers, but Perrin had to reach out and grab her arm when the mage made a movement to run to the nearest ladder and into the fray.

"Are you crazy? We can't take on eight soldiers as well as that bastard. We barely made it out alive when we faced Tancred alone."

"Dominick," Lilliana whispered, and Perrin realized the mage was crying. "Dominick help him, please."

A wind picked up, and it smelled like some kind of flower. Gentle at first, it pushed at the two women as if to force them back. Force them away from the soldiers and the tall man.

"No, no, Dominick I refuse."

The crystal on the mage's staff was pulsing blue. "I am sorry, Lady Lilliana."

Lilliana swatted at the wind and took a step forward, pulling her arm from Perrin's grasp.

"Wait, hey, we can't do anything about this fight." Perrin said desperately. If Lilliana walked out there and tried to fight, they would all be trapped within this city.

"My apologies, Lady Lilliana." Dominick said, repeating his earlier sentiments. And to Perrin, it was the first time she had heard the spirit talk with a strained tone to his voice. No longer was this spirit bored but...sad?

And then the wind picked up, and Perrin's feet slid on the slick roof. Her back hit the side of the mansion's fourth story hard and the wind kept her pressed up against it. She struggled but found herself unable to move. Panic made her struggle harder, but it was useless.

Next to her, Lilliana was fighting too. Tears streamed down the mage's face.

Perrin looked back at the tall man, just barely visible from where Dominick was keeping them prisoner.

She watched as Tancred stepped through the flames as if they were unable to burn him. He was smiling, his teeth glinting in the light of the fire around him and the tall man. He reached out, gripping the tall man's shoulder for a moment. Then he drove his knife deep into the tall man's chest.

Lilliana gave up fighting next to her. Hanging limp, only Dominick's magic was keeping her upright. She was whispering something but the wind around them kept the sound from Perrin's ears.

The tall man crashed to the ground, into the fire circling the two men.

Tancred left the circle of fire, cleaning his knife with a cloth. He gestured to his soldiers and all but two of them left with him through the palace gates onto the emperor's grounds.

They left the tall man's body burning in the street.

The wind faded around the two women. Perrin jumped away from the wall, rubbing her shoulders. Lilliana was gently lowered to her knees.

What happens now?

Perrin stood uncomfortably turned away from Lilliana. That tall man had been someone important, that much was obvious. But Perrin had never been good at comforting others. A pat on the shoulder perhaps, or a drink of mulled wine. Those were the only comforting things she could think of, and neither seemed right in this situation.

There was still a slight breeze drifting around Lilliana, and the crystal on her staff was still glowing blue.

But Perrin noticed that the soldiers Tancred had left behind were now looking around suspiciously, and seemed to be getting ready to move the body. They should keep moving. Staying here, they would be discovered soon enough.

She kneeled down next to the mage.

"Hey...I'm not sure who that was but it's dangerous to stay here. You mentioned an ally we had to find, we should go find them. Once we're safe it will be time to grieve."

"She's right, for once." Dominick said. There was a swirl of blue light and a man stood before them. His dark hair was cut uncommonly short for the current fashion and he was only just a little taller than Lilliana, though more than six inches taller than Perrin.

Perrin stared at him, her mouth dropping open.

"Dominick?"

"Who did you think?" He snapped at Perrin. Then he reached down and took hold of Lilliana's hands. He pulled her to her feet and let her sag against him.

"I...I didn't know you could..."

"I'm not your average wind spirit." He said, turning his nose up. Then he proceeded to ignore her entirely as he led Lilliana to another balcony.

Still utterly confused as to how Dominick had the power to take such a complicated corporeal form, she followed at a distance.

Who have I gotten myself involved with?

Adventuresomeजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें