Chapter 8

When the screaming started again, this time within the hall instead of the pipes, Perrin flinched. Her cell had opened of its own accord not ten minutes ago. Twelve hours in that cell, listening to the screams of torture, had been more than enough. Given the chance with the open door, she ran for it. She had nearly reached the door to the outside before the image of that creep with the long red hair holding Galandat came to mind. 

Her beloved sword, the one that had gotten her through so many adventures all around the world, the most precious thing she owned. If the spirits were helping her escape by opening the door, they would simply have to accept that her sword was part of the deal. She would never be able to live with herself if that horrible pig of a man kept his grimy hands on Galandat.

She had finally found her way to the stairs and where she was sure Galandat would be. She had found the weapons room and she had, thankfully, found Galandat. When the screaming started she ran for the door. In the hall she looked towards the torture room and then towards the stairs.

It felt wrong to leave that poor soul in torture.

Perrin took a step towards the stairs. Wrong or not, this was quite possibly her only chance of escape. If she risked getting caught and being stuck in this prison...well to start with she would probably be the next one to have her screams blasted through the cell rooms. And after that it was only a matter of time before she died, or was executed.

They thought she was Maura Latcher after all, the woman who had performed all kinds of protests from the desert region. Not all of them had been peaceful. Of course Perrin had heard the name before. Born and raised in the desert region, how could she not? Maura said she wanted peace and just wanted the empire to leave the desert region alone. But not everything in Maura's name had pushed for peace.

Just look at the airship she had set on fire.

If Perrin stayed and tried to help the tortured prisoner, she would likely be caught and her situation would only get worse.

She prayed to the spirits to do what they could to help the one being tortured, and then she started sneaking back towards the stairs.

Behind her, the door to the armory creaked.

Before she could hide, a figure emerged. The figure was a girl, holding a staff with a crystal. A mage. Not only just a mage, but a mage in fine clothes. Her dark hair was intricately arranged and she wore rings and necklaces. A noble mage in the prison? Or was it a disguise?

Perrin itched to reach for her sword but waited for the mage to make the first move.

"Maura Latcher?" The girl said slowly. Then she straightened, a relieved smile on her face. "I thought you were being tortured right now. Quick, I'm here to help get you out. We should hurry."

"You want to help me get out of here?"

She stared at the mage, dumfounded. What possible reason could she have to help her escape? No, not her. Help Maura Latcher escape.

Though far be it from me to tell her I'm not Maura Latcher. Not yet, not until she gets me out of here. If she came in for Maura that means she has an escape plan and help on the outside. If my best chance is to give up my name for a few hours...

"Then what are we waiting for? Let's go."

The girl bit her lip and glanced behind her. It was the direction of the screaming.

This is probably a crazy thing to do. I hope I don't regret this.

"Come on, I can't just leave them there either. We should at least see if it's even possible to help them."