Chapter 21

Lilliana's heart was pounding as she watched Perrin facing the marsh spirit with arrogance and scepticism. The marsh spirit exuded a powerful presence far greater than the girl's form she took, and yet Perrin seemed oblivious to it. Lilliana found her eyes drawn to the marsh spirit. Similar to Dominick, and yet very different. She knew enough about the spirit realm to recognize that this was a geographical spirit, or a spirit that was tied to the land it resided in. Lilliana had heard of distant mountain spirits and forest sprits, but she had never known there were marsh spirits.

And she had certainly never known that a spirit as great as this marsh spirit existed so incredibly close to the city.

Dominick, did you know about the marsh spirit?

"Of course," he hissed inside of her thoughts, "Of course I knew she was here. Now politely introduce yourself and stop that desert barbarian from making a fool out of us."

Stepping forward, Lilliana gave a small curtsy.

"We are honored to be in your presence, marsh spirit. I am Lady Lilliana, daughter of Lord Olian Harwin and Lady Henrietta Harwin. This staff holds Dominick, one of the four elemental spirits, who bears power over the winds and air. With us travels Perrin..." Lilliana hesitated, realizing she was never told Perrin's last name, "A wanderer from the desert region. We also travel with Fiona, NAME, NAME, and NAME who were crew members on our airship."

The marsh spirit finally turned her yellow eyes away from Perrin. Instead she looked directly at Lilliana. Lilliana met her gaze and tried desperatly not to blink. She stood tall and tried to look worthy of holding the staff of Dominick's crystal.

If Lilliana had expected the marsh spirit's expression to become more welcoming after the introduction, she was disappointed. Instead, the marsh spirit wrinkled her nose.

"You hold the power of the ancient wind spirit, but your link is fragile and your spiritual strength is still weak. Dominick, why allow such people to hold you captive?"

Lilliana flinched and her face burned with shame.

"Don't talk to her that way." Perrin said sharply. "I could care less about what kind of spirit you are, there's no need to be rude to us."

The waters of the marsh pulsed. The marsh spirit returned her unsettling gaze to Perrin.

"Rude." She repeated bitterly. "Rude was it, then, when the empire sent its army here. Rude was it, then, when the army came in with the ancient spirit of fire and burned my marsh. Rude was it, then, when the weilder of the ancient spirit of fire led his men and women to every single safehold my people had and destroyed each one? Rude was it, then, when every man, woman, and child was killed and left to rot in the open air?"

The water around them was rippling even more. Name, still on the ground and clutching his injured leg, quickly sat up so the water would not rush into his lungs. He inched away from the marsh spirit but froze when the spirit sent a glare his way. The reeds across the marsh were rushing, the sound building to a roar.

Dominick, what is she talking about?

In a flash of blue light, Dominick sent a soft breeze drifting around them. The calming touch smelled of sweet grass and fresh water.

"That was in the past," Dominick said quietly. "My travel companions had no part in that and nor do they want to do further grevious harm to your marshes. Last night we were leaving from the city to stop the upcoming war. We want less fighting, not more. The army that invaded your marshlands is not one we support. We know the army is corrupt and foul. It is lead by General Tancred" The marsh spirit clenched her hands. "I know you remember him from the army. It is true that he is as corrupt as anyone in the empire and we do not wish for him to assume the throne of the empire. That is why we are journeying."

Adventuresomeजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें