Marriage Made In Heaven - Chapter 44

"Mrs Glena," the doctor voice said in the back ground.

"She is in shock, I am her and Mrs Messengers aunt," Millies aunt announced.

"We understand that she wishes to see him but due to the injuries sustained we would recommend against that. It is an image she will never be able to erase and every time she thinks of her son, that would be the image she will see. We are sorry for being so graphic but we would like her to reconsider her choice," the doctor whispered to Millies aunt.

"I will see him myself first as she doesn't want him to be alone," she said. "I was a nurse in the army," she explained.

"If you are sure, follow me," the doctor replied and she walked off with him as Millie sat holding my hand and sobbing her heart out.

I was going over in my mind what happened. I knew we didn't leave the door open. Daniel wouldn't have been able to reach the handle. I had heard Stephen close the door when he answered it to Mark. I had kept looking towards the door, as I was stupidly praying for it to knock and Ethan to fall through it. So how did it go from shut to open and how did Daniel get out of the front gate?

Someone murdered my baby!

I broke down crying again. Millie tried to comfort me as I wailed with grief.

"I'm so sorry Libby," Millie kept repeating over and over.

"They murdered him Millie," I sobbed. "They murdered my baby!" I cried.

"Shhh don't say such things, it was an accident, a terrible accident," she replied.

"The door was closed, I know it. The gate was closed and it is too hard for Daniel to open. He was chasing someone and laughing," I said as I replayed it in my head. "We were distracted and now my baby is dead." I broke down again as Millie realised I spoke the truth.

"We have to pack up and leave," she said as she realised Lottie was in danger.

"Luang if you can hear me, please answer my prayer," I spoke allowed. "Take Daniels body and lay him to rest at the monastery. It was his favourite place. You were there for his birth, it seems only right you are there at the end."

Daniels favourite monk appeared in the corner of the room, his head bowed and his hands in prayer.

"Take him," I whispered.

The monk nodded and bowed graciously before losing his composure and breaking down in tears. Luang appeared placing his hand on the monks shoulder for support.

Luang turned and bowed to Millie and I as a sign of condolence.

I didn't make eye contact.

"How could they let that happen?" Millie asked. "How could they stand by and watch him die?" she asked getting more and more hysterical. "He is a baby, a tiny, defenceless baby. Someone should have been caring for him, not throwing him out with us and refusing to watch over him."

Luang did not answer. I didn't expect him too.

"Take him," I whispered again. "He belongs up there, not down here. Raguel said we were dead to them because they had to sustain the linage. Well now his grandson is dead. I hope he is happy."

I took a deep shuddering breath as I felt the pain I was holding in threatening to explode.

"I know you cannot fix this by going back in time, as what is done, is done, but I know you can arrange that people forget us. I ask that you give us time to go fetch some belongings and leave. Then adjust it so those we have met since coming here, forget us. Allow Stephen and Mark to live without guilt," I said as they were both in bits. Stephen was going over and over things wondering if he left the door open, Mark worried about the gate and door. Stephen was usually quick as lightening but couldn't get there quick enough and blamed himself. I of course knew that it wasn't there fault. Evil was afoot and no one can outrun that.

"We will take Zachariah with us, unless you can help him," Millie said.

Luang stayed silent.

I blew out another shuddered breath as the thought of going home and leaving without my baby was crushing me.

"Your father requests an audience," Luang spoke to my mind.

"I do not have a father," I replied out loud. "Human remember. Had I been any different I would not be arranging with you the burial..." I said and broke down again.

"He can help ease your pain," Luang spoke.

"FUCK OFF! I don't want to ease my pain," I yelled. "Who helped ease Daniels pain? Who stopped him from being hit by that car..."

"Shhhh, shhh," Millie said as she hugged me.

"He was chasing someone, they led him out there and murdered him," I cried. "I haven't even got to see him... I'll never cuddle him again..."

"Shhh... please," Millie said as she cried her heart out too.

Luang left us to grieve for a moment before returning.

"I have taken Daniel to the monastery," Luang announced I could see he had been crying. "I will make the arrangements."

"Did a scavenger take his soul?" I asked.

Luang shook his head to my relief.

Every time I stopped to think about what I should be doing next my heart screamed and my soul cried out in agony. I wanted to stand at the top of mountain and scream. I wanted to kick god's face in!

"I will return you home. You must leave immediately," Luang said as the room suddenly changed from the hospital to our front room. I looked down at the baby toys, half drank bottles and broke down, falling to my knees.

Zach appeared barely able to stand as he leant against the door frame for support. Luang looked at him and filled him in. Zach's horrified expression confirmed what he had told him via telepathy.

"Where is Ethan?" Zach asked.

Luang walked to the window, pointing to where Daniel had his accident. "Down that alley," Luang replied.

I was horrified. Daniel knew he was there. He was running to see him. Or rather being led. Evil Bastards!

"We failed," Zach said as he slumped to the floor unable to stand any longer.

"I will set you all on a path. Stay together," Luang said. "I have to go I am needed."

"Thank you," I said to him. He bowed and I knew he was trying to remain strong but I could see in his eyes that his heart was broken too and he felt he had failed. He looked shocked, as though running on autopilot and about to crash unless he left.

Millie appeared with the bags we kept packed and Luang nodded.

Suddenly we appeared in a camper van on a road. Millie in the driver seat, I was next to her. We looked in the back and saw Zach and Ethan. Both unconscious on the sofa type beds.

"Where is Lottie?" I asked.

"I don't know and I don't want to know," Millie said as she started the engine and drove on through her tears. I knew then she had come to a secret arrangement with Luang. He was hiding her daughter. Millie could never tell what she didn't know. She had witnessed the horror that had befallen my child and forsaken her own to protect her.

I placed my hand on hers for reassurance that her decision was for the best. She definitely did not want to risk her child facing the same fate as mine.

With that thought I sat staring out of the window, crying a river and wishing I was dead too.