"Hello?" Ace asked.

    I couldn't tell who was on the other line or what they were saying, but they spoke fast. Panicked.

    "What? Why was he alone?" Ace nearly shouted, his tone dipping low but his voice raising. His knuckles went white as he gripped the steering wheel, his muscles tightening, "Okay. I'm on my way. Just stay with him until I get there." Ace threw his phone onto the seat besides him, "Sorry Bunny, but I've got to go."

    "Is everything alright?" I asked.

    He shook his head, "No. Creston got hurt ... in an accident. Crashed his car into a tree."

    My suspicions reared their ugly heads and I couldn't stop myself from asking, "Well, is he going to be okay?"

    Ace shrugged, "I don't know. But I've got to go. So I'll see you in school tomorrow, okay?"

    This was my chance. I wanted to know what kind of trouble Ace and Creston were in, and what better way to find out than to tag along, "Why don't I come with you? My mom taught me some first aid when I was younger. I might be able to help."

    Ace's eyes snapped to meet mine, "No."

    No? A flat no?

    "Why not?" I wondered, "Creston is my friend too. I want to make sure he's okay."

    "I'm sure he'll be fine, it wasn't a bad crash." Ace countered quickly, reaching over my body to shove the door open, "I've got to get going so just run along."

    My eyebrows drew together in hurt. Run along? As though I were just some pesky child irritating him? Sure, I wasn't wonderful company but I'd like to think Ace enjoyed having me around. Guess not. He wanted me to 'run along'.

    Ace's face fell into recognition at what he said and his hands fell away from the steering wheel, "I'm sorry, Bunny. I didn't mean it like that."

    I nodded but my voice was lost. For the first time since I found Ace again, I didn't want to speak to him. Without replying, I flung my body from the truck and slammed the door behind me. I shouldn't be mad, there was no logical reason for me to be so upset. But I was. I couldn't explain it. The only thought running through my mind was 'I bet he doesn't talk to Holly like that'.

    Well of course he didn't talk to Holly like that. Holly could handle herself and Ace knew that. He trusted her to take care of herself but he didn't trust me like that. He's been looking out for me and protecting me since the day I met him, as though I were some fragile porcelain doll. Maybe I was, I sure as hell acted like it.

    Which then led back to the fact that I couldn't be angry at him for acting like this. I encouraged this kind of behavior by being so damn helpless.

    "Bunny wait!" Ace called as he jumped from his truck and jogged to my side. He actually stopped in front of me, hindering my retreat.

    I crossed my arms, diverting my eyes. Sure, I shouldn't be mad at him. But that didn't stop the way my chest ached when his words rolled through my mind time and time again.

    Run along.

    "You should go. Creston and Holly are waiting." I told him quietly, purposely avoiding his eyes because I knew how it would bother him. Jeez, when had I gotten so petty?

    "You know I didn't mean it like that, those words just slipped out." He stepped closer to me, attempting to draw my eyes as he did so often. But I wouldn't give in this time, "I'm sorry."

    "It's fine." I answered, rolling my lips into my mouth to keep them from chattering. Nevada could get cold at night, especially since I was so used to the heat. Ace watched me for a while, towering over me as only he could. I wanted to look at him, the pull to make eye contact was almost too great. Luckily, Ace moved on before I could.