Chapter XXIII: Rude Awakenings

8/12/2016

Rights to some of the characters and plot line go to J. K. Rowling and L. J. Smith. However, some of the characters and most of the plot are mine.

~~~~~~~~~~

1st May 1998, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

3rd person:

'Give me Harry Potter, and you will be rewarded.'

The words kept spinning around and around inside Harry's head, he 100% sure there was nothing he could do to save his remaining friends, other than sacrifice himself. He would do it, he knew he would. But enjoy it? No. He would be leaving Ron, Hermione and his beloved Ginny behind. But if it meant they lived to see tomorrow? He would jump at the chance.

"You know, killing yourself will not end this Harry." Professor McGonnagall appeared next to Harry, sitting with him on the bottom step in the gardens. "Voldemort will still hurt as many people here as he can, this battle will still happen."

Harry watched his feet, gaze never lifting. "I just wish there was another way professor, a way nobody else had to die."

The older woman watched him carefully, seeming to have an inner debate with herself. As Hermione, Ron, Ginny, Neville, Luna and George, each appeared on the steps around Harry, showing their support of him, she made up her mind. She reached into her robe, retrieving from inside a picture, an old, worn picture. She watched the scene play across the page, before holding it out to Harry.

The boy, confused, took the paper anyway, his eyes drawn to it.

The picture was taken here at Hogwarts, in the great hall, that much Harry knew. But the similarities between the hall in this picture and the one he knew were just that, similarities. The picture seemed to be of some sort of dance, much like the Yule Ball Harry attended in forth year. Except the focus was a couple, softly swaying on the dance floor. The girl wore a long green dress and despite the fact only half of her face was visible, her beauty was immensely clear. Her hands were up and around the broad shoulders of her partner, pulling him closer to her. They rested their heads on one another for a moment, the girl smiling softly, the boys face hidden by her's. Then the boy pulled back slightly, their noses brushing against each other, and shock hit Harry like a tonne of bricks. None other than Tom Riddle, a young Lord Voldemort, stared down at the girl with unmistakable love, before leaning forward and pressing his lips softly to hers. After smiling at each other for a further minute, Tom pulled the girl closer, her nuzzling into his neck.

Rom and Hermione, both having peeked over Harry's shoulder, gasped once the boys face was revealed.

"I don't understand, professor." Harry shook his head, looking to McGonnagall for help.

In response, she pulled out another picture from her robes.

In this one, the same girl from before looked slightly older and wore what appeared to be a wedding dress. She was dancing again, and again it was with Tom. Their actions were much the same as they were in the first one, filled with love and care for one another. Only this time, it was clearly from the couples wedding day.

Gasps came from Harry, Hermione and Ron again, Harry even more confused than ever. Another picture was handed to him before he could speak.