Chapter 41: Sacrifice

Start from the beginning

"Men really can't do anything right these days," a voice comments, prompting Falasdir to turn his head quickly, almost snapping it in the process. He couldn't believe it. Lindethiel stood there, her bow and arrow ready. She had a smug smile on her face, her eyes directed at him. "Captain, I do believe it is your duty to protect the King and not dance with some foul creature over there."

He couldn't even get mad at every insult thrown at him. Lindethiel was there, standing, looking healthy even. She knocked another arrow and aimed it at him. Before he could react, she let it loose, hitting the creature who had him captive.

"You shouldn't be so dependent on me, Captain Falasdir," she says a smile tugging at the corner of his lips. Falasdir smiles, relieved as he suddenly felt he could take down an army of these wretched beast.

Thranduil released a breath of relief of his own just as Turwaithiel reached him. He felt her warm hands on his back, travelling slowly towards the wound. He winced but could no longer cry out in pain. It seems everything was numb, including his tongue.

"Forgive me, my Lord but this may hurt a little," she said, searching for confirmation in his eyes. She was hesitant, as always and Thranduil wanted to tell her it was alright but he could not even move.

"Do it, Turwaithiel," a voice answers for him. A voice he wished was not here. He cursed inwardly as Turwaithiel looked up, shock evident on her face. She stutters for a moment before nodding and Thranduil felt the sudden pain. There was nothing holding Turwaithiel back. She was a healer, much like Elrond but her powers came from something else. Thranduil felt it almost stitch all of his wounds closed. Felt the heat of it through his blood stream like a fire burning the poison inside him. He gasped in pain until it eventually died down, with Turwaithiel looking at him in panic. She knew it hurt him but she found no other way. She was not even sure it would work for she had just managed to control her magic a few moments ago, trying to save Lara. Thranduil grunted, pushing himself up as Turwaithiel quickly stood. A soft arm was by his shoulder as he turned to meet the eyes he had just thought of, seconds before what he thought was his death.

Manthaniel knew she was going to get a lecture from him. Knew how he would try to convince her to leave the battlefield. It was the logical thing to do. She knew this but before she could defend herself, Thranduil had pulled her close to him. The harsh beating of his heart against her chest. She had not known Thranduil to ever be afraid but she knew he was, at that moment. Her king was scared.

"I thought I would never get to see you again," he whispered against her ear. She relaxed as she returned his embrace.

"You will not be that lucky, my love, you will have me and my stubbornness to worry over for years to come," she replied, feeling the vibrating chuckle from his chest.

"I shall look forward to every single day."

The little happiness at the reunion did not last long for the fear of night time had descended upon all of them as the sun, somewhere, was sinking. Although one could hardly tell since the forest was dark to begin with, the only signs of the sun setting was that it was growing darker, much darker that all of them knew they had to end this for Rawena had advantage in the dark and they could not go on fighting in the dark, despite having keen eye sight. That would be foolish. As if sensing the sudden tension and determination in the air, Rawena stopped muttering her spells and watched as one of the soldiers she had raised, crumble into ashes at the tip of Elladan's sword. Her jaw clenched. Her eyes were bloodshot, watching the scene before her. Her anger only increased at the sight of Laralen helping Elrohir to his feet. Why? Why were they still fighting for such things that would only cause them pain? She thought and decided to voice out the question, wanting to hear an answer.