Chapter 2 - Strange People

Flame

Chapter 2 - Strange People

.

For the next half hour, I was almost interrogated, which I was sure that wasn't what they intended- I think. There were simple questions and they also told me about themselves; they lived a little secluded from the town, their parents were very close friends, which was how they considered them all uncles.

What interested me the most, though, was when Lukas mentioned he had triplet siblings. I hadn't personally met triples so it sounded pretty cool to have that. They asked about my parents, which I completely and absolutely avoided. As far as they knew, Ian and I were raised in an orphanage. That was way better than talking about the past. It was safer.

After the bell rang, they looked at my schedule and it turned out I didn't have them for my next class, or the one after that. I did, however, have them for my last class, except Gabbie, which was swimming. I had never really been a big fan of swimming but they seemed to enjoy it and I wasn't actually bad in it. I didn't have any clothes prepared, though, so I had to borrow a pair of clothes which made me feel a little itchy.

As soon as the bell rang, we all changed before heading out where Gabbie met with us. "What are you doing right now?" Lukas asks me as we made our way down the hall, toward his locker apparently.

I bite my lower lip and look towards the door, where I could see people walking out in groups or pairs. "I have to help my brother unpack." That wasn't really true and I immediately felt guilty. Truth was, Ian would never allow me to hang out with anybody. I completely understood why.

Lukas raises an eyebrow, a small look to the others before shrugging with a neutral smile to me, "I see. Of course you have to- you just moved here. Well, do you want to share numbers to see if you're free later or sometime this weekend?"

I lick my lips as my chest squeezed, "I... don't have a cell phone" I murmur. The cell phone in my backpack suddenly weighted so much.

He smiles, "Oh" he rubs the back of his neck. "Well, we'll see you tomorrow?"

Finally, my insides stop trembling and I smile with a small nod, "Yes. I'll see you tomorrow." Then I turn around and walk down the hall, turning to take out my cellphone once I'm outside and out of eyesight. I dial Ian and he picks up on the second ring, "I'm out."

"I'm at the parking lot" he states and I make my way over there with a quick okay before hanging up. I immediately see our car and I climb in, offering a smile to my brother before he pulled out of the school and we were heading home. During the drive we weren't very talkative until we reach the house, where he tells me to get dressed and prepare for dinner.

When I'm inside my room, I drop my cellphone on the bed followed by my backpack. I change into a comfortable pair of pants before finally making my way back to out. Ian was in the kitchen when I walk towards it and I sit on the table as he brought out the bread as well as the peanut butter and jelly.

"How was your first day?" he asks as he puts away the jelly once he made us both a sandwich and he sat down on the table. "Was your schedule alright? What about the classes- No problems?"

I shake my head while taking a large bite and touch my glasses briefly. "It was okay" I admit and lick the peanut butter from my finger. I wasn't going to mention Lukas and the others. They were my first friends in... probably forever and if I told him about them, he wouldn't want me to see them.

I mean, I knew I was broken and I knew there was nothing we could do to change that. I also knew, though, that he wouldn't be able to keep me hidden and protected forever. What happened, happened but that was no reason why everything should change. Lukas and the others would be my friends- that much was for sure.