Chapter 16

I walk to Ainsley's house, where I find her lying on her back deck, soaking up the morning sun like a house cat. She's looking through a large hardcover recipe book and circling things in red pen.

'What do you want?' she asks when I slide open the French doors and join her on the deck.

'Ains, I came here to say sorry.'

She sits up, swinging her legs in front of her. 'For what?'

'For meddling, Ains. I know I shouldn't have,' I say.

'You always do it,' she says. 'You always have to be in control of things. Just for once you should get your nose out of my business.'

I nod, dropping down to sit next to her. 'I know, and I'm sorry. I didn't know it was going to happen like that. But you know I'm sorry, right? And I never meant to hurt you.'

She pushes blonde hair behind her ears. 'I know you were doing it because you thought it was right. But I've told you before that you don't get to decide what's right or wrong,' she says.

'I know you're right. I am sorry. I didn't mean for it to get like this. What's this?'

Ainsley flips the book shut, showing me the front cover. It's a vegetarian cookbook.

'It's just easy recipes,' Ainsley says. 'I'm not getting all weird.'

'Being vegetarian isn't weird,' I say. 'If you want to do it you can. But get all the facts first. You want to make sure you're still getting good sources of protein and fat.'

'Yeah,' Ainsley says. She bites her lip and pushes the recipe book away.

'So are we okay?'

'You owe me,' Ainsley says. 'But we're okay.'

'Okay good, because I need to pee. Stay here,' I tell her.

Ainsley's parents, Karen and Ivan, are sitting on separate couches in the living room and drinking coffee.

'Hi Emily,' Karen says to me. 'Ainsley's not getting burnt out there, is she? She has delicate skin.'

'Uh, she's fine,' I say. 'I just wanted to ask you guys about... well, you know, this whole thing with George and everything. I guess I just really want to understand more about him, and I thought maybe, Ivan, you'd know the most since you were his best friend.'

'Well, yes,' Ivan says. 'We were best friends from the time he joined Hilverton College.'

'He joined Hilverton?' I ask. 'So he didn't go to Hilverton primary with you guys?'

Ivan shakes his head and places the coffee cup on the table. 'He grew up in Sydney. When his parents split up he moved here.'

'So where are his parents now?' I ask.

'His mum died quite a few years ago. She was ill for years. I don't know about his dad. I assume he'd still be in Sydney if he's still alive.'

'Did he have any other family?' I ask.

'Not on his mum's side,' Ivan says. 'Maybe his dad had family but George was never close to any of them.'

'So did he ever talk about his dad? Or growing up in Sydney?' I ask.

Ivan shakes his head. 'Never. It was like when he moved to Hilverton he was a new person. He wanted to forget his past.'

I wonder what George Addison had to forget.

At school, in maths class, I see Duncan standing outside the classroom, and for a second I think he's looking at me, but then I realise he has his eyes fixed on Taylor, who is sitting in front of me. His arms crossed over his chest look wiry and taut. I wonder if Robert Forrester divulged any of the details of the George Addison case to his son. I hope Duncan doesn't know anything about my dad or his bandmates.

When the bell rings I'm the first out of class and I dart out the door, past Duncan as if I'm busting for the toilet. I head down the hallway and into the side passage that leads towards the bathrooms. I watch as half of the class spills past. I peek my head out and see Taylor and Duncan loitering outside the classroom.

'I'm going to sit with Watson for break,' Taylor is saying. 'Sorry I can't sit with you. He's going to help me with some history homework.'

Duncan snorts. 'As if you need help.'

She rolls her eyes but smiles and nudges his arm. 'I'll see you this afternoon?'

'I don't know, maybe,' Duncan says, shrugging. 'How is stuff with Watson going, anyway?'

'I don't know,' Taylor shrugs, and she looks worried. 'He really likes me.'

'Good,' Duncan says firmly.

'Okay, I have to meet with Watson,' Taylor says. 'I'll see you later. Um, text me?'

'Maybe,' Duncan says. He walks off, but she walks, slower, and when she walks past the bathroom she stops and turns into the hall.

'Emily Maisonwood,' she says sharply. 'Listening to my conversation, were you?'

'I was actually just urinating, but like, sure,' I say. 'If you want to think you're important enough to warrant people spying on you, go for it.'

She raises her eyebrows. 'How's Watson? Still not talking to you? He's talking to me.'

'Do you still think I'm jealous, Taylor? Wow, you have Watson and Duncan, the two hottest guys at Hilverton, and guess what? I don't care, because both of them suck,' I snap.

'I know you care,' Taylor says. 'I know you're in love with Watson.'

A noise behind me makes me turn around, and I see Lucas advancing down the corridor towards us.

'Em, I need to talk to you,' he says sharply.

'Piss off,' I say.

He ignores me and looks at Taylor. 'Taylor, get lost.'

Taylor gives him a spiteful look. 'Make me,' she says.

Lucas rolls his eyes and then says, 'Look, I'm Duncan's best friend. I know the passcode to his phone. Next time he's at rugby training I'll take his phone out of his locker, and if there's anything on there...'

He doesn't finish because Taylor yells, 'Shut up!' and flees as if Lucas has said something terrifying.

I look at Lucas, surprised. His uniform shirt is clinging to him, and his blonde hair is messy, like always.

'Listen, Em, I really need to talk to you about something. This is serious.'

I scowl. 'I'm not in the mood, Lucas,' I say, walking off.