Chapter Three-Part Six

Start from the beginning

   Dae Young (in English): Who's that he? What's his name? How did he find you? And again, why are you here? You better give me a direct answer.

   Zawari: His name.....his name....

   Dae Young (in English): Tell me his name!

   Zawari: His name...his name is...Kim..Il Rang.. Ah yes, Kim Il Rang! He said he asked the help of a friend who's name is Ali. My brothers and I were sheltering under a small cave near the Afghan-Pakistan border. He said that he has cash, and he wants us to do something that can quarantee our freedom.

   Dae Young (in English): What thing?

   Zawari: He didn't say it, but we agreed to join him. We needed the money and our freedom.

   "Let me explain what mission is that–attempted breach into the perimeter of the hotel. You convinced them to launch the attack so that they can kill the US President for all the drone strikes in Pakistan against the militants. You used their anger to your advantage, is that correct?" Si Jin inquired as Do Yoon turned off the recorder.

   Il Rang gave no answer.

   "Sun Yang founded you two years ago when you secretly released a North Korean spy from prison in exchange of the stolen nuclear powerplants in this country. The North Korean turned out to be one of Sun Yang's goons." Dae Young explained next.

   Il Rang still maintained silence.

   "You got greedy. You planned to sell those plans to the highest bidder. Lucky for you, Sun Yang appeared, and then 'hired' you to do the work while maintaining your cover as the President's trusted bodyguard." Do Yoon continued from where Dae Young left off.

   "January 16th of last year, you planned the assassination of Finance Minister Byeung Joon Shik who was acquited for corruption. You planned it so well that it looked like he killed himself out of guilt. Then, on May 8th, you passed secret files containing top-secret Korean military remodelling programmes, including the names of two FSB agents working undercover in Seoul. In October, while on your three-week leave, you secretly travelled to Uruk and started making business deals with the rebels–by helping Sun Yang transport guns and money. The business was so successful that you gained a lot from it." Si Jin revealed further.

   "And then you suddenly kept quiet for some time, until two months ago, Sun Yang funded you to do some soul-searching. You found Zawari and his goons and then sneaked them into Korea." Do Yoon went on. "Not only that, you hired a former EOD serviceman with PTSD to blow us apart and make it look like it was planned from the start. The truth is–you want to cover your scent, isn't it?"

   Il Rang by then began to feel restless. He brushed his hair with his left hand while gritting his teeth. Sweat began pouring down from his face. His men, meanwhile, had their eyes locked on him. The NIS correspondent simply stood like a statue.

   With Il Rang's deal leaked out into the open, Si Jin took a few steps forward towards Il Rang, as Il Rang's men watched with great alarm. He stopped when he was just a few metres away from Il Rang's face, somewhat cautious enough not to stir the emotions of Il Rang's men into a frenzy. "I don't think you expected us to find that out, did you?" Si Jin spoke in a low, mysterious tune. "Luckily for us, we have our own analyst to file all the evidence against you."

   The sudden ring of the telephone on the table interrupted the tensed scenario, and Dae Young went to pick up the call as Si Jin slowly retreated backwards while maintaining his gaze at Il Rang. "This is command–"

   It didn't take long for Dae Young to pull away the receiver slightly from his ear and glance at the Major. "Yoo Soryeong..." He called out, his voice had some urgency in it.