Chapter 41: Rules

The sun was shining through our blinds, dancing on the naked skin of my back that was peeping through my tank top–warming it like the breath of a lover along my skin.

I stirred and started to wiggle my toes under the soft sheets with a scent that was filled with him–a fresh scent of him that made me sleepily smile. Blinking my eyes open, I found Ethan still snoozing soundly; I was laying on his chest, his nose still buried in my hair.

Thinking for a bit, I decided to get up and make him breakfast before his arms pulled me back to him. "Where do you think you're going, nurse?"

"You're not sick," I replied back, my voice slightly raspy from just waking.

"Sunshine, I am too." He flickered his eyes open, blue-green gentle pools looking back at me. "I'm supposed to be very sick, remember? Isn't that the plan?"

He was right in a way. If we could convince her that they were all still unwell–Levi and Ethan that is, then we may buy ourselves more time. I tilted my head so I could look at him some more, a brow slowly arching while his eyes scanned over my face. "Well, I guess you're right, that would be nice."

"See, you're still a nurse then," he replied with an air of smugness in his voice.

"And you're still a horrible patient."

He pushed some of my hair back and kissed my forehead. "Yes but you still love me."

"I do," I sighed out, a faint satisfied smile on my lips.

"I love you too baby," he replied quietly, resting his forehead on mine. "Can I have some blobs now?"

I playfully slapped his chest; his hand caught mine and brought it to his mouth where he kissed the back of it. "Like I said, horrible needy patient."

He mused for a moment then nodded in agreement. "I do need blobs. And you–"

"Ethan no," I injected.

"Why not?" he asked as he pulled me closer to him.

"Because, your ribs are still not healed all the way, you still have a little silver in your system–I can smell it off the wounds that still are not fully healed, and you're still not well enough to shift. If you can't shift, you can't have sex."

"That is the dumbest rule that I have ever heard of."

"You only say that because you don't like it," I said, my arms pushing me away and my legs swinging out of the bed. "Much like your thoughts on the vitamin drink which you are drinking this morning!"

"Goddammit," he slowly sighed out. "I take it back–you're a horrible nurse!"

I chuckled while I slipped on some house shoes before I walked around to his side of the bed. "Fine, more coffee and blobs for me. Stay in bed Everette, see if I care!"

"You do care!"

"About blobs!" I teased.

I heard him muttered some curses out while I slowly jogged down the stairs and headed to the coffee pot, a soft smile on my lips as I enjoyed the moments of the morning–a time where it was just he and I and we didn't have to worry about Aurelia or a portal or hundreds of rogues that more than likely wanted to kill us. Right now the thought of just making blobs and coffee with Ethan was sounding pretty close to what I thought heaven could be like.

Loud slow footsteps came down the stairs, drawing an amused smile that I bit back while the coffee pot gurgled in the background. I had a mixing bowl out and was reaching for the skillet when he walked into the kitchen, causing the hair on the back of my neck to raise. Instinctually my hands opened the cabinet above the coffee pot and pulled out a mug.