Chapter 12: Lyle

The breeze was warm as it caressed my skin. I was sitting outside amongst the new blooming wild flowers in our back yard while Ethan, Levi, and Caleb began to bicker over how Levi was handling things–which I had to give Caleb some credit, he did have a solid point.

It could be nothing.

It could be, but I knew it wasn't.

I felt him coming before he even called to me. Liam walked up and sat amongst the flowers next to me. He was quiet for a few moments, just enjoying the day with me before he put an arm around my shoulder. "Want to talk about it?"

I shrugged. "I don't know even what to make of it. It could be nothing or everything–it feels like the latter."

"I do too," Liam said. "But it doesn't matter. You know it doesn't matter to us right?"

"I know but Liam, what if it's something like the cursed blood? I could be putting you all in danger–"

"We're already in danger Charlotte," Liam quickly said. "It's already dangerous."

"Yes but war with the vampires?"

"That's if Alex would really turn like that. We don't know that. Alex knows you, he knows Levi and Ethan. Helen cares for you as a friend, I can't imagine him going against people like that."

"People have before Liam," I said. "People have done horrible things out of fear."

"Charlotte we all have to die someday," Liam said with a soft smile. "Dying for your family and loved ones is a beautiful thing."

"Stop talking like that," I choked out. "We don't know anything. Bernard is right, they could be doing this for this reason–to get us worked up. No one is dying, no more talk of that."

"Well, if that is what they wanted then they are doing a damn good job," Liam said. "You should have seen Evangeline, she about killed me when I didn't bring her today."

"Why didn't you?"

He sighed and shook his head. "We got in a fight last night and I just needed some space to think."

"Liam–"

"I love her Charlotte, but–" He paused and shook his head.

"But what?"

"She got in a fight with Levi the other day. She had been having a rough week, some of the females got into it with her. Levi tried talking to her as did my mother but she just wasn't having it.

"We were having dinner with my parents when my father tried to talk to her about it and Lyle started asking questions. He's just a kid, he doesn't understand everything yet, you know?

"At one point Lyle asked why the females were being 'mean' to her and she listed off a bunch of vague reasons, you know he's just a kid and–he just sat there and looked at her then said 'Aunt Charlotte wouldn't have that.'

"Evangeline asked what he meant and he said, 'She just wouldn't have that.' Mom asked what he meant and he told us that, 'Aunt Char is a good Luna mom. She knows what she's doing–'"

"Oh my God," I groaned. "God that's just not true. I mean, I–"

"Charlotte," Liam said. "You are a good Luna, even when you feel like you're not. You care deeply about this pack and your loved ones. This pack loves you and respects you."

"I'm not perfect Liam. I'm still figuring this out," I rushed out.

"No one expects you to be," he replied. "And that's ok. That's why we love you."