s i x t e e n - y o o n g i

The door clicks shut behind me as I reenter the dorm. I kick my shoes off and look around, surprised to see all six of my bandmates in the living room. Not to say that all of my members are as lethargic as I'm known to be, but after a taxing day like today, I'd expect at least some of them to be in bed.

   "Hey, Yoongi," Namjoon says with a smile. "You're back late."

   "You're up late," I counter, not missing a beat.

   "How's Rin?" Jimin pries.

   "Fine," I respond. "Not much different from the last time you saw her, given that was like two hours ago. Why are you all up? It's one in the morning."

   "We wanted to wait up with you," Jin explains. "Talk about Rin."

   "Why?"

   "There's a lot to talk about," Namjoon interrupts. "Like, why did you not tell us way back that she's drop-dead gorgeous?"

   I'm about to tell him to shut up, but another voice joins the chorus. "She's totally a ten, dude." It's Taehyung who's speaking to me.

   "You're making him uncomfortable," Jungkook says meekly, and the boys calm down. It seems they made our maknae a little uncomfortable, too.

   "In reality, though, hyung, Rin-noona is really cool. She was really intimidating at first, but she's sweet."

   "Wait. Jungkook finds a girl intimidating? Shocker," Jimin laughs.

   "Let the kid live, man," Hoseok chides, slapping Jimin's arm. He only rolls his eyes in response.

   "So, Yoongi, I know you played some of her stuff already, but what are her stages like? I'm the only one besides you who's seen her perform and I want to know what her lives are like."

   "You want me to look something up?" I ask, confused.

   "That's kinda how video works, yeah."

   "I mean, okay. Sure," I say, and head into my bedroom for a moment to grab my laptop. I look for a video of the show that I went to and find one put out by the venue. Trusting it, I click on the video and return to my bandmates just as she's coming up onstage. The six gather around the small screen and watch her set with enthusiasm. The vocals aren't quite as hyped up as the rappers are, though. Namjoon and Hoseok sit mouths agape, in complete awe of her track The Plight. Jin seems generally amazed the whole way through, and the younger boys just seem to be having fun with her show, as am I. I've known how talented Rin is for some time, and being able to see her so comfortable up on stage is something that makes me really happy. As the set concludes, Rin thanks everyone for listening to her and hypes the crowd up for the headlining act, which brings up some confusion.

   "Wait, you mean she wasn't the headliner?" Namjoon asks.

   "No, she was the final opener. I don't know if she's headlined any shows at all, actually. I'm not doubting that she has, but she hadn't done one when we split and I feel like I would've heard if she had."

   "But she's so good!" Jungkook exclaims. "Why wouldn't she headline a show? There's no way the next guy could compare to her act— I mean, you saw how excited everyone was!"

   "I think you actually mentioned a big part of it, Jungkook," Jin says. "She's a girl. Women just aren't taken as seriously in the rap industry, especially underground."

   "That's really stupid," Jungkook says. I give a solemn nod because the maknae is absolutely right.

   Out of left field comes a suggestion from our second-youngest. "What if Rin auditioned for the company?"