↠ passing by

↝ newt scamander

i did not write this, so I do not take any credits.

word count: 895

written by→ fantstic-newt on Tumblr
they're here on wattpad as→ [?]

She blinks slowly, the world around her coming into focus, and more importantly, the messy haired man in the seat beside her, his freckled nose in a book, scribbling feverishly on a piece of parchment beside them.

Y/N and Newt are on a train to Prague, in search of a new species of dragon Newt glimpsed in an impressively old creature thesaurus.

You see, the duo met three months ago in the bustling city of New York, and immediately hit it off.

Well, not so immediately.

Y/N had run into him in a bank, the unknown wizard had just apparated. With a no-maj! She, naturally, followed the men and confronted them later that night in Central Park, where she learned that he was in search of one of his lost creatures.

And naturally, Y/N informed him of all the (Fifty-nine to be exact) laws of American Wizarding Conduct he had broken. And naturally, Newt took her in.

The two had grown close to inseparable, and on their second month in New York, he had asked Y/N if she wanted to come along with him back to Europe to help him categorize and find creatures.

And, after deep consideration and about four volumes of "Creatures and the World" later, She agreed to go with him.

Which brings them back to their current state, half asleep in a warm train crossing the Slovakian border, well on their way to Prague, Czech.

Newt notices her yawning, and gently tucks a stray piece of her hair behind her ear, causing a soft rosy tint to bloom on her cheeks. "I'm so glad you're awake." He smiles softly at his sleepy partner.

"R-Really?" She asks, sort of flustered at his sudden closeness, as she stretches.

"Yes!" His eyes light up as he extracts a worn piece of parchment from the pages of his encyclopedia, "Look-look, I've come across this-"

She leans closer to him, their shoulders touching now, her eyes following his finger as she silently reads the passage.

"How is that possible? Bowtruckles certainly cannot be found under those conditions! One of their species purposes is to-"

"Yes, yes, I know!" Newt beams, "But look here, in the old field journal," He flips the pages of the old book, "It's been documented here, clear as day. June the first, 1789, Today I came across an odd, spindly like creature, with long green arms and beety black eyes-" His finger slides down the page, "Almost as if it blended into the bush."

"Newt! We've been over this!" Y/N huffs playfully, "Even Pickett agreed with me that no Bowtruckles live in the east indies. And definitely not in bushes."

"That's it precisely!" He grins, "Maybe they aren't bowtruckles!"

She looks up at the freckled man, a small smile playing across her face, "Newt Scamander," She says slowly, "Are you trying to tell me you've come across an undocumented species?"

"I'm afraid so!" He beams at her.

She giggles quietly, earning a rather confused look from Newt, then laughs, louder, and louder, until she's just about fallen in Newts lap.

"W-What's so funny?" He asks, his cheeks bright pink, and his fingers fidgeting with his scarf.

"I thought we were looking for a dragon! In Prague!" She giggles, laughter ringing from her like bells.

"W-Well, I- er- Yes-Ye-Yes, we still are-" His eyes flit down to hers, as she calms down. Her head is in his lap, looking up at him with her bright E/C eyes. He clears his throat, "W-We will just-just ma-make plans to make a stop through Asia."

She smiles at him, "You truly are extraordinary, Newt."

"T-Thank you." He loosens his collar, still blushing at her closeness.

She gets up slowly, holding onto his shoulder as support, and returns to her spot sandwiched between him and the window.

Several hours have passed, the two pouring over atlases and field logs, as well as encyclopedias and old textbooks.

The sun is dipping just behind the trees beyond their icy window, frost fractals decorating the glass, and sleep is settling into the two.

"Have you," Y/N sneezes, her nose scrunching up, "Found anything on the ridgeback? The dragon could be a variation of it- especially if it's supposedly found in these conditions-"

She is cut off by Newt wrapping his soft woolen scarf around her shoulders.

"N-Newt?" She blushes, his scent overflowing her senses.

"Y-You seemed cold." He looks down at his hands, his eyes flicking to hers than back to the parchment as he ducks his head in shy embarrassment.

"Newt you probably need this more-"

"Please wear it," He says, looking up at her, "I-I insist."

"O-oh, okay," She smiles, toying sleepily with the edges of the soft scarf.

As minutes pass of blissful warmth, Y/N finds herself falling back asleep.

Several minutes after she falls asleep, her body sliding before coming to a stop with her head comfortably on Newts shoulder.

Newt freezes, his cheeks bright red as he notices his companions closeness. Still, he smiles to himself as he looks down at her.

Notices how rhythmic her breaths are, how nice her hair smells, and soon enough he's fallen asleep too, his head leaned atop hers, their hands intertwined beneath his scarf.

full credits to fantstic-newt on Tumblr (check them out)