"Once again to save the day"

Start from the beginning

“Ricky has it.”

“Where it he?” Jenna pouted, a look of worry spread across her face.

As if on cue the doorbell rang. We all walked over and sure enough it was Ricky.

“Dude, what took you so long? I saw your car pull up the same time I got here,” Luke teased, punching him on the arm.

Ricky rubbed the spot, “Sorry, we can’t all fly you know.”

“Tell me about it,” I mumbled, Luke slipped the corsage around my wrist and wrapped his arm around my shoulder.

“Ricky!” Jenna squealed and pecked him on the cheek.

Ricky grabbed her by the hand and spun her around. “Jenna, dang you look hot.”

Jenna was smiling so big I thought her mouth was going to fall off. “Thanks babe, and don’t worry, you aren’t late, we’re still waiting for Brian to come pick us up.”

“I can’t see why I can’t just fly us there,” Luke mumbled into my ear.

“Because,” I whispered back,  “It’ll be more fun if we all go together.”

“Is Brian still going with Lexi?” Jenna asked, obviously hearing our conversation.

“Yep.” It was true, I guess Lexi’s plan to get with him worked out after all. I couldn’t say I was mad at Brian for giving in; Lexi had seemed different lately. She didn’t seem as if she was trying as hard now, she seemed more like she was being herself. I guess multiple near death experiences can change a person.

“Yay,” Jenna squealed, she loved any love story no matter the circumstances. 

………

“I love this song,” Jenna grabbed Ricky and dragged him to the dance floor as soon as we arrived.

Brian shook his head, “Ricky’s going to have his hands full.” Lexi who was grabbing onto his arm giggled.

“Don’t worry, you know he likes it,” Luke stepped in to defend my friend.

The student council had really overdid it. The whole gym was covered with streamers and banners but the big hit was the hired DJ who was already playing music.

I looked up at Luke, “Want to dance?”

Luke nodded and we made our way to the dance floor, Brian and Lexi following.

Luke was so coordinated it was unfair. He did an assortment of crazy dance moves while I kind of just bobbed back and forth to the beat.

I heard whispers from the kids around us but I couldn’t blame them, I was with Luke a.k.a. Superkid, town hero slash heartthrob. Then again, maybe they were just staring at me, Dante Caslon a.k.a. Anthem Girl. Now that the secret was out people were recognizing us everywhere.

When a slow song came on I placed my head in Luke’s chest and let him lead.

“Dante, I mean it, you look really beautiful tonight,” he whispered into my ear, “But that’s not really saying anything, you always look beautiful.”

            “Your so full of it,” I whispered.

            Luke laughed, “I mean it.”

            “Mmmhmm,” I mumbled.

            “What could I do to prove I’m being honest?”