Down to Business

::Andy::

I love school. 

I think I may be in the small majority but I absolutely adore school. In my life where everything seems so bizarre school is about the most normal thing I can do. There’s lockers and school supplies and lunch with friends. Not a single giant monster or super villain in sight. When you have to deal with that sort of stuff calculus tests and homework seem like a good deal. 

“Good morning,” I grin as I pass my classmates, “Hey, how are you doing?”

Most people smile at me in return. 

I’ve never had too much of a problem about the whole “super” thing. People love the idea of superheroes. The Anthem Force are practically celebrities in town, especially after the Big Win. 

“Nice job last night!” someone shouts, “I saw it on the news.”

“Thanks!”

As much as people like me, though, I’ve always felt different. I mean, I am different...technically. To most people I’m just that superhero girl, not someone you can call up to go to a movie on a friday night. Especially Boys. They never really liked me. I think it has something to do with the fact that I can beat them up without trying that hurts their delicate egos. The only boy who’s never really cared if I’m stronger then him is Keith

“I got it guys,” I say as I run up to a bunch of football players struggling to move the heavy tables in the amphitheater for a pep assembly later today. I pick one up in each hand, easily, and begin to shuffle them to the side. They watch with wide eyes and mouths agape. When I’m finished they mutter a few “thanks” and hurry on to class. Like I said, delicate egos. 

I smile as I put on my backpack and walk through the halls, a bounce in my step. And by bounce I mean I’m practically floating in the air. Some habits die hard guess. 

“Hey!” I smile as I pass another classmate. They glance me once over, see that I’m flying, and give me an excited grin. 

Yes, school is pretty normal. For me at least. 

...

After school I fly straight to our newest headquarters. I love saying that “our headquarters.” It makes everything seem so much more official, like the Ultraleague. I’m last to arrive, even Noname is here still wearing that all black suit. You’d think she’d get hot in there or at least a serious case of hat hair.  

“Hey Andy, take a seat,” Radley says. You can tell he still looks nervous about being in charge, “We have a lot to discuss. Starting with this.”

He pulls out the black bag of Formula X, the super drug, and places it on the table. The stuff is icky, like bug guts or the type of slime you’d expect to find growing on sewer pipes. 

“I’ve already sent in a small sample to the Ultraleague labs but I need you tell me everything you know,” he says to Noname, who like always is looking bored. 

“I already told you,” she drones, “Formula X is a performance enhancing drug. It gives you super powers but sometimes you whack out and go crazy and start drooling that black goo stuff.” 

“How come I’ve never heard of this Formula X stuff?” Keith says, “It sounds cool.” 

Noname rolls her eyes. “It’s only on the black market and even then not a lot of people know about it. There was a big outbreak of it a year ago in Shore City but other then that it’s practically unheard of.”