▩ Chapter 3 | Invitation ▩

Start from the beginning

"So you really don't remember a thing besides your name. Could it be that you suffer from amnesia?" Naomi asked.

"Hm... Maybe," you muttered.

"No, it isn't," a guy's voice was heard and a brown beret hat was placed on your head, covering your eyes a little. Curiously, you took off the cap and looked at the man. His eyes were closed and he has black hair. Over his shoulders drapes a brown poncho that matches his hat and pants. Under that he wears a dark grey blazer and a white button up dress shirt and a tie. 

"Let me, Edogawa Ranpo, the great detective tell you why," Ranpo took out his glasses and use it. He looked at you with a great smile while you hold his cap in anticipation. "It's the disadvantage of your ability. You'll forget more and more as you continue to use your power."

"I see..."

"Now," Ranpo dragged the word while taking back his hat and smiled like a cat. "Go and buy some candies as a payment."

"Candy? As a payment?" You looked at him dumbfounded.

"Hm? You're right. Just asking you to buy for me candies isn't enough to cover the fee... Well, how about after you have bought the candies, write for me my report then. I have to hand it in today, you know? Oh yeah, find for me some comic strips from the newspapers too, so that I will not feel that bored while you're doing my job," Ranpo said (devilishly).

You mentally cried as you looked to Naomi, expecting her to help you but she seemed busy with some paperwork. You looked at the others but they didn't even make an eye contact with you. Why? Because by 'some candies', it means a lot and they all know that Ranpo didn't have just a report, he has tons of them.

"Um... Can I borrow some money?" You spoke softly but loud enough for them to hear. Luckily, you got ignored. "Anyone?" You added.

"Sorry, [y/n]-chan. I really don't have any money. I even had a tab at a restaurant with I haven't even pay. But Kunikida can help you. He has a lot of money!" Dazai voiced out.

"Oh really?! Do I have a lot of money after you had emptied the money in my pocket earlier?!" Kunikida shouted at Dazai.

Atsushi was twitching a little as if he wanted to help you but he can't. Tanizaki wasn't in the room.

"So... Um... Ranpo-san? I know that you're a great detective. You could even know how I lost my memories but can you please drop down the request to buy the candies?" You tried to make your expression as cute as possible.

"But I want to eat some sweets!" Ranpo pouted. By this time you had given up because seeing Ranpo pouting face make you feel guilty to reject his request.

"Okay, okay. I'll go and buy some alright?"

"Okay! Make sure you buy at least 20 types of sweets," Ranpo cheered. You nodded and went out of the building.

"[L/n]-san!" A familiar voice called. You turned and saw Atsushi. "I'll follow you."

"Are you sure? Don't you have tons of work?"

"Yes. But I think I'll take a break for a while. I can lend you some money to buy the candies. And... And," Atsushi nervously said. He really seemed that he wanted to be with you. "I'll protect you."

Just as you wanted to reply to him, Dazai appeared.

"Hello, [y/n]-chan," Dazai hugged you from the back. "Let me follow too! I'm too bored here," he whined.

"Eh?" You looked at Atsushi who was giving a quite unsatisfied look.

'Should I turn him down? Atsushi look a little irritated though. Or maybe it's just my imagination. Besides, I don't know how reject Dazai's request,' you thought.