Chapter Five

Kathy was always stubborn and a pushover. If she wanted something, she made sure she got it. She had curly, flaming red hair, bright green eyes, and freckles over her nose. She reminded me a lot of the girl from Brave. Her smile was easy and magnetic. That was one reason she managed to get more tips than me in the restaurant even though she always argued I was better looking than her.

My dad's loan sharks were here yesterday, asking him to pay up, and there was a lot of screaming and fighting. I'd seen how one of their men had leered at me. Dad promised that he'd pay up within a week, but I didn't see that happening anytime soon, not when he was hell-bent on spending the money on gambling. He was under the impression that gambling could get him a ton of money that he could pay the loan sharks and solve our problem.

At that moment, I'd packed my stuff and decided to leave the place. I didn't care if I had to live on the streets at that point; I wasn't going to be responsible for my father's miserable life. Watching me pack, my mother had gotten teary-eyed and begged me not to leave. She said she would figure out about the money and that Dad would change eventually.

She was reciting the same old story again. Mom had been the only person who supported me growing up. And I respected her for that.

I hated how she manipulated me.

I hated how much I loved her.

And most of all, I hated how weak that made me.

When I asked Kathy if I could borrow some money, she told me she was tight financially; what with paying the rent and supporting her kid brother, it was hard to spare even a few bucks. Instead, she'd come up with an idea. Kathy worked part-time in a strip club during weekends, and that got her tons of money. She suggested I could do part-time for a few weeks as well.

The strip club was farther away from town. It was a high-class, posh strip club called Devil's Girl, the Gentlemen Club which was accessible only to rich men who were bored with their wives and have far too much money to be spend on pretty girls. That meant bumping into townies and being recognized was an unlikely possibility. The deal wasn't so bad for fast money, but I didn't think I could dance on the pole half-naked with pervy old men leering at me. I'd debated the idea but eventually decided I could try for one night.

So here I was, dressing up in a silky cream camisole over lacy panties, making me the most overdressed compared to the other dancers. The neckline of the garment was deep, and that made my cleavage stand out even more, though I didn't have big ones. I covered my chest with both of my hands, and the manager of the strip club laughed and said it just needed some getting used to. Once I got the taste of the money, I would also leave out the camisole and move freely. Heat rose up my cheeks as I wondered if I could do that. The other girls were professional strippers; they took off every bit of garment from their body on stage. I was an exception; I was the only dancer who got to keep some clothes on. All I had to do was dance in a sexy way.

Backstage, inside the makeup room, I had second thoughts. I panicked when I saw the other girls prepping for the show and heard the sound of men cheering. Kathy applied a coat of harlot red lipstick on my lips and then fixed my makeup. When I looked in the mirror, I saw how changed I looked.

The cream camisole made me look sexy as it hugged my curves. My legs were clad in fishnet stockings matched with high heels. My long dark hair cascaded down my shoulders. I looked every bit sexy; someone that men wouldn't keep their eyes off, someone that wives would specifically despise seeing in their respective neighborhoods.

I looked like the dirty little secret.

Tears began threatening to blur my vision. I looked towards the ceiling and willed the tears to go back where they came from as if my eyes could suck them in. I grabbed a few Kleenex and dabbed at the corner of my eyes.