Chapter 14: Ralph's Story

Start from the beginning

"Your house is pretty." I complimented.

"Thanks, but it's quite messy and howfin." Ralph shoved some messy things aside, from newspapers that scattered on the floor, telly remotes, and some old books. "Please, take a seat, make yerself at home."

I sat on the furry, leopard skin-patterned sofa, meanwhile the old man scurried off to the kitchen and later returned with two cups of tea.

"Thanks," I picked up my cup and blew the tea.

"So I see yer Thompson's daughter, eh."

"No," I muttered. "Long story."

Ralph leaned on his sofa. "Thompson is one bloody rich bloke, whoever he is fur ye. In fact, by ownin' th' mansion there, he's probably th' richest bloke in our neighbourhuid, an' probably in entire Perthshire."

"This neighbourhood seems a lot better than up there." I took a sip of my tea.

He placed his cup on the table. "Well, it's not perfect, but it's decent. I ne'er feel lonely. Because occasionally, some folk like to gather around in, say lik', weekends or Christmas Eve." he chuckled, before coming to a pause.

"And your family?"

"My family? Lass, mah wife died ten years ago and I have no children." His wrinkles lifted on his face.

"I'm sorry."

"That's fine, lass." the old man sipped his tea again. "After all, I'm th' last Jones to ever live 'ere, after generations of generations. Even since th' auld days where th' Haywood still bolted this territory over 'ere lang ago."

Something familiar filled my eardrum.

"You know about the Haywood?" I frowned.

"Aye, ye must have heard about 'em too." Ralph said. "Th' Haywood owned yer house years ago."

Of course, I would really love to hear the story from someone else's point of view, instead of depending on the journal, investigate Diane, or the unreliable stub sources online. I leaned closer, tucking my arms and knees together.

"I want to hear what you know," I said.

Ralph's face broke into a smile. "I s'pose you couldn't find anythin' on the net, eh. I'm not surprised, but worry not because you just about as lucky as you could get, lassie."

He cleared his throat before beginning the story.

"The Haywood folk lived in your manor. That white building's look has ne'er changed a bit, and that it looks just th' identical 'til now. This territory had been run by that folk from generation tae generation, before they closed it down when World War I broke out. Folk tried to claim th' ownership of the manor soon after th' War was over and th' Haywood wis ne'er to be heard again. However, th' manor remained empty and abandoned, until yer folk came along and disregarded all th' rumors."

"What rumours?"

"Oops, sorry I've spoken too much. But I suppose ye won't like scary stories," he said huskily.

"No, go ahead."

"If that's what ye want, then." he braced himself, leaning back against the sofa. "Umm...yer house is haunted. Ye have any idea 'bout that?"

I nodded.

"And yer not scared?" he lit up in surprise.

I shrugged. "Well, I think that explains why I've felt gust of wind blowing out of nowhere. It was fine though."

"Well...that's...that's such brave of ye." Ralph said.

"So, about the Haywood?" I tried to get him back on track with the Haywood story. "Did something happen?"