17 (Yuji's P.O.V.)

(Yuji's P.O.V.)

We all gathered inside the cafeteria table like we did each morning. A couple of Shirou's friends had some of the school's unsightly looking breakfast burritos in their hands. They were the brave ones. The rest of us suffered or ate breakfast at home. I wouldn't dare eat the food here. It looked and smelled terrible. Even though the lunch food was a bit better, it was still difficult to eat when I had to. Shirou often brought his own lunch, and I tried to as well, but some days I forgot.

I admired Shirou's ability to remember things like that. Even as kids he would never forget where his shoes were, or that we needed to grab the net from the garage when we went to the river. Heck, he even remembered sunscreen when we were kids. I always thought that he was smart as a kid, too. He still was, even now. Of course I didn't expect anything less than straight A's from him.

I couldn't say the same for Kizumi though...he struck me as an idiot at first. An idiot who thought and spoke with his fists. He certainly seemed like a hateful person, despite how much Shirou tried to convince me otherwise. So many times he tried to tell me that Kizumi just needed time to warm up to me...of course, I happily nodded every time. Is that how I really felt though? Like I agreed and cared about what he thought? No. Far from it. From the moment I learned that we would be moving back, close to Shirou and his family again, I was excited.

Mainly because I hadn't seen him in so long, and we had been so close when we were younger. I'd admired him a lot from a young age, and he and I thoroughly enjoyed each other's company. I was glad we'd been able to click right back together, too. It was entirely the opposite for Kizumi though. From the very first moment we met, he had a glare set in my direction. My very first thought was that he was possessive, especially by how close he was standing to Shirou and angling his body towards him that first day we met.

My second thought was about how intriguing it would be to mess with him, especially after finding out that they were actually together. Kizumi was much more open to him than anyone else, so naturally he'd be annoyed if someone started taking his place. I'd never been into guys before, so it wasn't like I was trying to get with Shirou or anything...I just wanted to see how long it took before Kizumi flipped. I had no particular reason...I just didn't like guys like him. People who were angry at the world and took it out on others. I could tell that was how he was, even if Shirou believed otherwise.

I knew if I made it look like I was slowly making moves on him, Kizumi would start to notice and get upset, and so far it was working. It was incredibly easy for me to feign innocence the whole time as well. Shirou and his friends truly thought I was nothing more than an outgoing and friendly person. In reality, I actually was. It was never hard for me to make friends growing up...but this was a little different. The way I was doing things seemed completely normal, especially since Shirou and I were so close back in the day. That was what my weapon was, though.

The fact that Shirou and I had been so close allowed me to do things now that I knew would anger Kizumi. Sitting close to him, hugging him, giving him looks all the time...all sorts of little things that only he would notice, but nobody else would even think twice about. That was also why Kizumi couldn't do anything about it. If he even tried to bring it up, he knew he'd simply be shot down by anyone he told. It wasn't likely he would say anything anyways, though. I wasn't exactly sure when he was going to crack, but I was waiting for it. Maybe I just liked to see chaos when I knew it wouldn't backfire on me, or maybe I was just plain mean...but either way, I wasn't going to stop until I got the reaction I was looking for.

And so, this morning when we all sat down at the cafeteria table, I sat right next to Shirou. Since he sat on the edge of the seat, there was no way that Kizumi could sit on his right, and I was placed on his left. Just a bit closer than I needed to be. As I expected, Kizumi found his way over to us. I scanned his face to find it inexpressive at the moment. Shirou looked up at him and offered a gentle, welcoming smile.

"Sit down with us." He said and patted the table lightly. I watched as his eyes flickered in my direction. Our eye contact was very brief, but I could feel how ice cold his look was. He looked us up and down, seeing how close we were sitting and simply shoved his hands in his pockets. As he tore his eyes away, he muttered,

"I'm just gonna head to class." Then he left just like that. Though I had been pleased by his reaction, Shirou seemed disappointed. I leaned over a little see his face. Rejection was obvious in his expression.

"Is he alright?" I asked Shirou, looking after where Kizumi went as if I was genuinely concerned.

"...I'm not sure I could tell you." He sighed a bit. His friends all shrugged when I looked to them for answers. "He hasn't been like this on a long time."

"Oh...you don't think..." I trailed off a little, and they all looked at me, waiting.

"Think what?" One of his friends asked.

"Do you think maybe it's...my fault? I don't really think he likes me all that much." I sighed believably, looking worried. They all shook their heads quickly.

"No, no. Kizumi is seriously just...like that." One of them said.

"Yeah, in fact...he's usually a lot worse." Another added.

"Guys, he hasn't acted like that in a long time." Shirou tried to defend him.

"Still...It's just not surprising." One of the girls said. Shirou looked at her with a bit of a hurt expression, but then just sighed and shook his head.

"I don't know. Hopefully he'll come around." He hoped.