13

"Kizumi." I said his name once. The nasty glare that was painted on his face was now being directed at me. Holding back a sigh, I tilted my head at him and furrowed my brows. He looked annoyed and confused. This was becoming a common sight...the glare on his face seemed to get darker with every passing day.

When he'd first met Yuji I expected Kizumi to be cold and rude. What I didn't expect was for him to keep it up for so long. It'd already been a little over a week, and nothing had changed in a good way. I kept telling myself 'they'll get along soon', but it was nowhere near that. There was change, just not in the way I wanted. Though he'd never done anything other than glare it almost seemed like every time Yuji was around, Kizumi would get tense. He was always unconsciously glaring at him, and more than once Yuji had noticed.

I appreciated that Yuji never reacted to it much, because it probably would have caused problems...but I still felt terrible. I apologized to him once and he told me that it was no big deal and that he didn't expect everyone to like him anyways. It was still strange though. I wanted to bring it up to Kizumi and ask why he was being so on edge all the time, but every time I went to ask we'd either get interrupted or I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I didn't want him to get angry, but I wanted to know what his problem was.

It was entirely possible that Kizumi needed more time, too. Maybe after a couple of weeks he'd get tired of being so angry and just go back to being himself again. Then again...he was good at staying mad about things. After all, before we met he was constantly ticked and in trouble. Whatever the case, I hoped he wasn't going to stay like this forever. Sometimes it was frustrating trying to keep him from glaring at Yuji all the time. As I thought about it, I looked him in the eyes. With a much delayed shake of my head, I turned my attention back to the person standing on stage.

We were have an assembly on drugs and alcohol. It reminded me a lot of middle school, how we'd all gather in the cafeteria and listen to stuff like this. You would think high school kids would know better, but they made us listen to these sort of things anyways. My attention was suddenly brought back to Kizumi when I heard him let out a sigh. His head was facing the stage as well, but the glare was gone from his face. I was pleased to see that and was about to just go back to listening again, but he unexpectedly slipped his hand into mine.

He was never affectionate in school, but maybe he figured it was okay since it was dark enough and we weren't with the larger part of the crowd. Most of the people in our row were just my friends, anyways. A small smile formed on my lips as a bit of heat blossomed on my cheeks. It was strange for this to be happening at school. I didn't dislike it though.

"Oh?" Yuji suddenly sounded next to me and I whipped my head in his direction. He was looking at our interlocked fingers, surprised. I suddenly remembered that he was never told that we were together. I remember just thinking that he'd find out on his own or that maybe my friends would say something. I guess they hadn't, though. The look on his face was kind of...strange. Like he was surprised, yet he wasn't. There was something else there that I couldn't read, but I wasn't focused on that. He continued, "You guys...are you together?"

"Ah, well..." I started nervously, laughing a little bit. "Y-yeah..." I suddenly worried that he might find it weird, but Kizumi snapped my attention away from the worry for a brief moment by jumping into the conversation. His next few words may have been the first he'd actually spoken to Yuji, but they were far from politely said.

"Why does it matter?" I could tell that he was annoyed again. His expression was a little hard to read completely, since he was looking forward...but his tone was easy to understand. I glanced at Yuji to see how he was taking Kizumi's attitude, but he just replied how I expected.

"It doesn't really matter." Polite, as usual. "I just didn't know, that's all." He'd plastered a smile on his face towards Kizumi. I turned my head back to see how Kizumi would respond if he was even looking. It turned out that he was looking at Yuji, and his face didn't exactly have a glare on it. He looked like he was stuck somewhere between angry and suspicious. The suspicion confused me, but I didn't have much time to look over his face. He turned away, holding his tongue. I could see that he wanted to say something more, but knew I would probably stop him.

I appreciated that. I mean, I didn't like to sit there and only tell him to stop...but Yuji wasn't saying or doing anything to provoke him that I could see. Kizumi just had a nasty attitude towards Yuji. I wanted it to stop but had no idea what to do about it other than just let it play out. I also wanted to believe that maybe this was somewhat of an improvement...but I wasn't sure that it really was. Even though he finally spoke to Yuji, it wasn't in even a mild way...it was rude, and his expression after wasn't exactly content either.

His eyebrows were furrowed, like he was thinking about something. His hand stayed locked with mine, but his grip was little bit tighter than before. He wasn't hurting my hand, but I just noticed the slight new pressure. I supposed I should at least be happy he hadn't gotten into an argument, or that he wasn't glaring still. Maybe later I would just have to be tough and try talking to him if I decided against letting things just play out.