2

It was cold outside, but my friends were still dedicated to sitting under that tree anyways. By the time the bell rang though, I was always frozen solid. Especially my fingers and face. I couldn't exactly ask Kizumi to hold my hands either. Our friends didn't know anything about us, and Kizumi never did anything that would give it away in front of people. I could never tell if he was doing that because he didn't want people to know, or if he worried that I didn't want people to know.

Again, I was starting to wonder if Kizumi and I even counted as a couple. After all, nobody knew that we were together, and he never actually officially  asked me out. We just sort of...got together. I mean, I liked being with him and I saw him as my partner but...sometimes I couldn't help wondering if it was the same to him. Would other people consider us a couple? Well...if other people knew, then I guess we would be a serious couple. Not that we weren't serious but...ugh. I was reading too deeply into it.

I didn't even know if it was a good idea for people to know about us. I had to admit that I was a little bit afraid of my friends thinking it was weird. I'd be pretty hurt if they pushed me away after finding out that I was dating a guy. Not only them, but my parents too...I had no clue what my parents thought about that stuff. They'd never mentioned it before, so I didn't know if they were against it or for it or just didn't care at all. It was so confusing. Maybe that's why keeping it quiet was for the better.

"Shirou, did you hear what I said?" Isaac snapped hus fingers at me to get my attention. I hadn't realized that I'd gotten so lost in thought just then and laughed at myself a little bit.

"Sorry, say it again." I told him. He sighed.

"You mean you didn't hear any of that? Like...any of it?" He looked sort of defeated, and even though I felt bad, I didn't want to lie to him. So, I shook my head and apologized. With a sigh, he started over. "Alright. I guess I'll tell you all over again. I'm not going into all the details though. I said, this weekend my parents are having a New Year's Eve party. I was just wondering if you wanted to come."

"New Years, huh?" I thought about it, wondering if my Mom had said if we were doing anything. I couldn't think of anything.

"I know most of you guys are probably gonna be with your families, but I was just offering. It'll be fun. We'll have drinks and food and stuff." He told us. Some of them nodded and said they'd see. I nodded as well.

"Yeah...I can ask my Mom if I can go. I'm sure she won't mind." I told him. He smiled and then looked over at Kizumi.

"You can come too, if you want." He said it just a tiny bit weaker than when he had spoken to me, but I couldn't blame him. Kizumi wasn't exactly...nice to my friends, but he'd stopped glaring at them and responded to their questions normally now. They'd gotten used to his hard attitude and weren't as afraid as they used to be...but there was still that tiny bit of fear deep down.

"I don't know." Kizumi looked away from him, being blunt as usual. I glanced over at him. He didn't look like he was really taking it into consideration, but that was only to be expected. He wasn't much of a people person anyways. For the rest of lunch, everyone mostly just chatted about what they were doing for new years and joked about resolutions and who would actually follow through with them.

That whole time, I slowly froze like usual. Eventually I faded out of their conversation because I got a little too cold to talk much anymore. I was extremely relieved when the bell rang. I jumped up a lot quicker than I thought I'd be able to with my frozen limbs and began heading right for the doors. Kizumi followed by my side. I'd only said a quick goodbye to my friends, kinda leaving them there, but I was too cold to wait. Once we got inside, Kizumi and I slowed down and took our time getting to English. As we walked, he spoke up. I glanced at him as he spoke.

"Are you actually going?" He asked me.

"Going where?" I asked, confused.

"To that New Year party." He said.

"Oh." I replied feeling stupid for not realizing what he meant. "If my Mom says it's alright, then yeah. I have nothing else to do this weekend anyways."

"...I'll come if you're going." He told me. I looked up at him again to see little expression on his face. I was sure he didn't really want to go, but it was nice that he'd try. Who knows. Maybe he would actually enjoy it once we were there.

"Okay. I'll be sure to text you and let you know after I talk to my Mom." I told him. He nodded, but was quiet for the rest of the walk to English. I'd have to remember to ask my Mom later. When we reached the classroom, Kizumi swung the door open and held it open for me. We both stepped inside, probably both sighing internally. At least the day was half over.