12

As much as I wanted the lunch period to go on forever, the bell did eventually ring. It ended our laughter and storytelling, so we would just have to continue another time. Most likely in the morning at breakfast. After all, my friends still probably had tons of unasked questioned they wanted to throw at Yuji. I could tell that he didn't really mind though. Sort of like me, he was charismatic and friendly to everyone...probably more than me, to be honest. He'd always made friends quickly when we were younger, no matter who it was.

Something about him was just...easy. He was easy to talk to, and easy to laugh with. It kept people from feeling afraid to be themselves. I had always admired that. My friends did too, clearly. They took a liking to him from the second they were all introduced...not everyone was so happy about him though. Kizumi had been pretty quiet all through lunch. Usually he tried to participate a little, but today he stayed out of everything completely. He would hardly even answer me.

I knew that it was probably because of Yuji. He wasn't good with new people still...I wasn't sure if he ever would be, to be honest. The only reason he was able to converse with my friends on a somewhat normal level was because he'd been around them for so long. Maybe after some time he'd be able to at least feel neutral towards Yuji as well. I gathered my garbage as I stood up. Kizumi was already up and ready to go, waiting for me. I gave him a smile and he simply stared at me. I wasn't expecting him to return it, but the lack of any response worried me a little.

Maybe he was thinking about something or maybe he really was annoyed today. Probably because I hadn't met up with him like usual this morning. Would he really be angry about that, though? I mean, he's an angry person a lot of the time, but not like that. He's not sensitive and stupid...

When we passed the trashcan, I threw my things in it. Yuji did the same, following closely. I turned to him as he pulled out his slip of paper and examined it. They were his classes for the rest of the day. I peeked at it from the side and then asked,

"Do you remember where your fifth period classroom is?"

"Um...it was the one right across he hall from sixth, right?" He answered slightly unsure.

"Right. It's in this building." I said as we walked through some doors. As we went down the hall, both Yuji and Kizumi were sort of quiet. When we neared Yuji's fifth period classroom, he slowed.

"It's...this room, I think." He looked at his paper again.

"Yeah, this is it. Anyways, Kizumi and I are gonna head to English, so we'll see you later." I waved at him a little as we continued walking. He nodded and then went inside the room. As soon as I turned back around, I waited for Kizumi to say something. He was still quiet, though. maybe he just didn't feel like talking, or perhaps he didn't even realize he was so quiet.

"Kizumi?" I called his name.

"What?" He responded quickly. He wasn't lost in thought, I guess.

"Are you okay?" I asked him, chuckling a little bit.

"Sure." He was holding back a sigh. I didn't question him any further, trying to keep from upsetting him. If he was annoyed, the last thing I wanted to do was make him angrier. Even though he wasn't as bad as he used to be, making him angry wasn't something I, or anyone else, wanted to do.

We entered the classroom together and sat down in our seats, staying silent. Normally he talked to me a little bit until the teacher came in, but instead we both just remained quiet and pulled our things out for class. We'd been reading another book and doing more packet work for it. These things were always so easy, and the teacher was always telling Kizumi and I to slow down. We never had anything else to do though, and kind of accidentally got too far ahead. The thought made me chuckle a little bit. Finally, Kizumi said something to me.

"What's funny?" He questioned, noticing that small laugh.

"I was just thinking about how I never pegged you to be so smart when I first met you." I responded.

"You thought because I'm always in trouble that I was stupid?" He asked me.

"Well, not stupid but...maybe that you didn't care about school all that much." I said.

"I don't." He replied simply.

"Oh...then why do you do so well?" I asked.

"Why not? I've got nothing else to do." He replied with a sigh.

"I guess that's a good enough reason." I laughed a little. Kizumi kept a straight face. I was about to say something else, but the teacher started class and I was stopped short. She talked to us about an upcoming field trip for English, but didn't give us too many details because we had work to do. Instead, she just handed us permission slips that had all the info stapled to it. I didn't bother reading it right away and just put it away in my folder.

Kizumi didn't read over it either. He simply put it underneath his other papers and would get to it later. We started our work, but of course Kizumi and I didn't really do much. We were already too far ahead, and the teacher didn't want us getting too ahead of ourselves, so instead we sat there working on other things...or, I was at least. Kizumi was absentmindedly doodling on his packet paper, making circles and other shapes out of boredom. He glanced over at me, aware that I was looking towards him.

I gave him a half smile and he looked away from me to keep from letting that little tinge of pink stain his cheeks. That was a little better than no reaction at all. At least this way I knew he wasn't mad at me.