Chapter 4

Sasuke's POV
"You're gonna get yourself in trouble," I told Naruto as I examined the seal he was copying.

   "Am I?" He laughed.

   "Yeah," I said, "I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to break into the yondaime's house."

   He shrugged, "if I want to be a fuinjutsu master, then I need to learn from one."

   "So you call stealing the yondaime's seals and scrolls learning from him?"

   "Borrowing," he corrected then nodded, "indirectly." He continued copying the seal, "and besides," he added, "this is nothing compared to other things I did."

   "I can't think of anything worse than that."

   He grinned, "best not think of it at all."

   "Except if.." I shook my head, "one day you'll regret it."

   "I don't believe in regret."

   "Don't say I didn't warn you."

   He laughed, "hai, hai!" He put down the brush after he was done and closed the scroll. He put it on a shelf with other scrolls then closed the fourth's scroll. "Done! Wanna go with me to the yondaime's to return it?"

   "Like I'd say yes." I muttered.

   He shrugged, "suit yourself."

   "Does Obi- uh... Hokage-sama know about this?"

   "This? No. But, two weeks ago, he warned me that if he ever found out that I'm doing anything illegal, he's gonna 'take action'. But what's he gonna do? Put me in prison? I can escape without them ever knowing. Put a seal on me so I never tell? I can remove it. Alter my memories? I can do all this all over again, and besides, I'd kill whoever's gonna play with my head before they do anything."

   "You're too overconfident."

   He stood up and put the scroll in his weopon's pouch, "I'm not."

   "What if he takes your leaf headband and you're not allowed to be a leaf ninja anymore?"

   Naruto froze. "He.. wouldn't."

   "He's the hokage. He would."

   "Then I would.." He didn't complete his sentence but I knew exactly what he was gonna say.

   I shook my head, "you can't. You wouldn't."

   His piercing gaze went up from the floor to me, "I would."

   He left his room without another word. He slammed the door with so much force, it could have broken off. It wasn't long before Rin came out of the room with a questioning look, "was that Naruto?"

I nodded.

Her eyebrows furrowed. "What happened?"

I shrugged.

"What could have made him angry?" I didn't blame her for being confused, Naruto was never angry.

I hesitated then said, "he was angry at himself for being scared." I walked to the door.

"Scared?" Again, I didn't blame her for being confused, Naruto was never scared. "What could have scared him?"

I thought for a minute then finally said, "of losing," I opened the door and looked back at the frowning Rin, "everything." And I left.

I could imagine Naruto laugh and congratulate me for making a dramatic exit, how was that dramatic? I don't know. I prefer not to question Naruto logic. I smiled a small smile.

But that smile was quickly replaced by a frown. Why was Naruto angry? Was he angry at himself for being scared? Was he scared? What was he scared of? Is he scared of not being able to be a leaf ninja? Is he scared of doing what he has to do if that did happen? Is he scared of losing his life in Konoha if it did happen? I shook my head in hope of stopping all the questions that kept coming.

"Hey, Sasuke."

I looked to my right to find Itachi, I felt happy to see him, but I kept an emotionless expression, "hey," I finally said.

"Where are you going?" He asked.

I hesitated, "to train."

"Oh. May I join you?"

"Hn."

He smiled. Then he frowned, "Naruto's not with you?"

   "He's busy."

   "Shouldn't you and your team be doing D-ranks?" He asked after a few minutes.

"We have today off."

"Oh."

He asked a few more questions about me and I answered in the shortest possible answer.

"You don't seem to be interested in talking to anybody but Naruto." He finally said.

"Hn."

He smiled, "I'm glad you have a friend like him."

"Hn."

Just as we reached the training grounds, an ANBU appeared, "captain, the hokage has asked for us."

Itachi turned to me, "I'm sorry, Sasuke, it looks like I have to go."

"Hn."

"It was nice talking to you again after so long. I hope we could do it again." That's a lie.

"Hn."

As soon as he left with the ANBU, I punched a tree, why do I feel angry?

I threw a kunai at a tree. It missed.

I tried again. And again. And again. It kept missing. "Dammit." I made a huge fireball which engulfed the tree.

I turned and started walking away from the fire.

•••

I was passing by a ramen place when I heard somebody say, "-ever seen hokage-sama's son training?" For some reason, I stopped.

"Yeah. I once saw him hit a moving target with his eyes closed."

"I saw him make a huge ball of chakra. I think he called it 'something rasengan'."

"Rasengan? Wasn't that the A rank jutsu the yondaime invented?"

"Yeah, that's the one, but much bigger." I shook my head and started walking again.

"Well, it's not a surprise, since he's a jinchuuriki and the yondaime's son." I froze.

"Shhh! You shouldn't talk about it."

"What? That he's adopted?"

"Yeah! They say that the godaime doesn't want to tell him. Not yet."

I couldn't move a muscle. I was confused, shocked and... scared. Naruto- Naruto can't be adopted. No! He's an Uchiha. He's hokage-sama and Rin-san's son. He.. He...

I finally started moving. I ran and ran, the whole time, I was repeating the same thing over and over again in my head.

Naruto is not adopted, he's an Uchiha.