Sword

"JUST GIVE ME A SWORD SO I CAN DEFEND MYSELF ARTHUR!"

Arthur was first surprised by Merlins sudden outburst. While distracted by this, the bandit he was fighting hit him on the leg. His mouth tensed up so he would let out a sound of misery. But the bare picture of Merlin with a sword made him chuckle.

"Merlin, you would probably hurt yourself more than you would hurt the person your fighting!" He said as he knocked out the bandit.

"I have been watching you train the Knights for about... HmmM.. THREE YEARS?? I know how to do it, and I have some instincts, we all do." He said. "WHAT ELSE AM I GONNA DEFEND MYSELF WITH YOU NEAR ME??"

The last part puzzled Arthur more than you'd think.

-

Even if Merlin had complained all he could about not being able to defend himself, he was not been given a sword.

-

"Merlin, come over here and help with the training!" Arthur yelled after his servant, a couple weeks later.

Merlin dragged himself to the Royal, and made as much of a scene he could of it.

Arthur threw him a sword. "Defend yourself!" The Prince yelled and drew his own sword. Merlin suprise disappeared in less than a second, and parried Arthur with ease. The King had thought that clumsy Merlin could never even hold a sword right, and was now flabbergasted.

-

Merlin, yet again, let the Prince win. He knew that a prince could never lose to a servant, then he would lose half of the respect in his court.

-

"Merlin, do you wish to be a knight?" Arthur years later asked. It was one of those rare moments when they weren't bantering.

[3.12.16]