14 || INTO THE TRAPDOOR

BLOOD ON MY NAME
XIV. INTO THE TRAPDOOR

IN YEARS TO COME, y/n would never be able to remember how she ever managed to get through her exams when she half expected Voldemort to come bursting through the door at any moment. Yet the days slowly crept by, and there could be no doubt that Fluffy was still lurking behind the locked door.

It was bafflingly hot, especially in the large classrooms where they did their written papers. They had practical exams as well.

y/n did the best she could, trying to ignore the stabbing pains in her forehead, which had been bothering her ever since her trip into the forest.

Hermione thought y/n had a bad case of exam nerves because she couldn't sleep, but the truth was that she kept being woken by her old nightmare, except that it was now worse than ever because there was a hooded figure dripping blood in it.

Maybe it was because they hadn't seen what
y/n had seen in the forest, or because they didn't have scars burning on their foreheads, but Ron and Hermione didn't seem as worried about the Stone, the idea of Voldemort certainly scared them, but he didn't keep visiting them in dreams, and they were so busy with their studying they didn't have much time to fret about what Snape or anyone else might be up to.

Their very last exam was History of Magic. One hour of answering questions about old wizards who'd invented selfstirring cauldrons and they'd be free for a whole week until their exam results came out.

When the ghost of Professor Binns told them to put down their all of their quills and roll up their parchments, y/n couldn't help cheering with the rest.

"That was far easier than I thought it would be," said Hermione as they joined the crowds flocking out onto the grounds, "I needn't have learned about the 1637 Werewolf Code of Conduct or the uprising of Elfric the Eager."

Hermione always liked to go through their exam papers afterward, but Rom said this made him feel ill, so they all wandered down to the lake and flopped under a tree.

"No more studying," Ron sighed happily, stretching out on the grass, "You could look more cheerful, we've got a week before we find out how badly we've done, there's no need to worry yet."

y/n and Harry were both rubbing their foreheads, "I wish I knew what this means!" Harry burst out angrily.

"My scar keeps hurting it's happened before, but never this often." y/n said agreeing with Harry.

"Go to Madam Pomfrey," Hermione suggested.

"We are not ill," said Harry. "I think it's a warning... it means danger's coming...."

Ron couldn't get worked up, it was too hot,
"Harry, y/n, relax, Hermione's right, the Stone's safe as long as Dumbledore's around."

Joe continued, "Anyway, we've never had any proof Snape found out how to get past Fluffy. He nearly had his leg ripped off once, he's not going to try it again in a hurry. And Neville will play Quidditch for England before Hagrid lets Dumbledore down."

y/n nodded, but she couldn't shake off a lurking feeling that there was something she'd forgotten to do, something important.

When she tried to explain this, Hermione said, "That's just the exams. I woke up last night and was halfway through my Transfiguration notes before I remembered we'd done that one."

y/n was quite sure the unsettled feeling didn't have anything to do with work, though. She watched an owl flutter toward the school across the bright blue sky, a note clamped in its mouth.