12 || FROM EGG TO INFERNO

BLOOD ON MY NAME
XII. FROM EGG TO INFERNO

QUIRRELL HOWEVER, MUST HAVE been braver than y/n thought. In the weeks that followed he did seem to be getting paler and thinner, but it didn't look as though he had cracked just yet. Whenever y/n passed Quirrell she gave him an encouraging sort of smile, and Ron had started telling people off for laughing at Quirrell's stutter.

Hermione, however, had more on her mind than the Sorcerer's Stone. She had started drawing up study schedules and colorcoding all of her notes. Harry,
y/n, or Ron wouldn't have minded, but Hermione kept nagging them to do the same.

"Hermione, the exams are ages away." y/n told her as she looked over Hermione's extremely organized planner.

"Ten weeks," Hermione snapped. "That's not ages, that's like a second to Nicolas Flamel."

"But we're not six hundred years old," y/n reminded her. "Anyway, whatever you are studying for? You probably already know everything we need to know."

"What am I studying for? Are you crazy? You realize we need to pass these exams to get into the second year? They're very important, I should have started studying a month ago, I don't know what's gotten into me...."

Unfortunately, the teachers seemed to be thinking along the same lines as Hermione and had been piling so much homework on them that the Easter holidays weren't nearly as much fun as the Christmas ones.

It was hard to relax with Hermione next to you reciting the twelve uses of dragon's blood or practicing wand movements. Complaining and yawning, they all had spent most of their free time in the library with her, trying to get through all their extra work.

"I'll never remember this," Ron burst out one afternoon, throwing down his quill and looking longingly out of the library window. It was the first really fine day they'd had in months. The sky was a clear blue, and there was a feeling in the air of summer coming.

y/n, who at the time was looking up "Dittany" in 'One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi,' didn't look up until she heard Ron say, "Hagrid! What are you doing in the library?"

Hagrid shuffled into view, hiding something behind his back. He looked very out of place in his large overcoat. "Jus' lookin'," he said, in a shifty voice that got their interest at once. "An' what're you lot up ter?" He looked suddenly very suspicious. "Yer not still lookin' fer Nicolas Flamel, are yeh?"

"Oh, we found out who he is ages ago," said Ron impressively, "And we know what that dog's guarding, it's a Sorcerer's St-"

"Shhhh!" Hagrid looked around quickly to see if anyone was listening. "Don't go shoutin' about it, what's the matter with yeh?"

"There are a few things we wanted to ask you, as a matter of fact," said y/n, "About what else is guarding the Stone apart from Fluffy-"

"SHHHH!" said Hagrid again. "Listen - come and see me later, I'm not promisin' I'll tell yeh anythin', mind, but don't go rabbitin' about it in here, students aren't s'pposed ter know. They'll think I've told yeh-"

"See you later, then," said Harry as Hagrid shuffled off.

"What was he hiding behind his back?" Asked
y/n thoughtfully.