The Vale Ball

Pov: Ruby Rose.

"Ok. I'm a good dancer but... not this good." I watch as everyone around us twirls and spins. Arm in arm, hand in hand. With so many sudden dips and lifts that my head spins. I look at Weiss and smile sweetly. "Babe, I'm not that good."

"And?" She replies. I look at her, confused. "Ruby I don't care if you are the worst dancer in the world you dolt. I want to dance here. All that matters is you and me. And that floor being under us. So what do you say?" She holds her hand out to me, slightly tilts her head, closes her eyes and smiles so sweet it's nearly sickening. Nearly. The only reason it's not is cause I love that smile. Absolutely love it.

"Ok Weiss, you win. Let's dance." I reach out and take her small pale hand into mine and pull her close. Then proceed to place my left hand on her hip while keeping her hand in my left. She quickly adapts to the submissive female role of dance while I take the more dominant male role. Every step I take she takes with me. Perfect synch. "It's like we were made for each other. When I step forward she goes back. As I spin one way, as the natural flow of dance, she follows. If I try to dip she leans back. This is the happiest moment of my life."

I can hear Weiss laughing as I spin her once again. I can tell that I'm smiling and I can see that she is. Her pure white teeth shine as they reflect the light. I lift and spin her around. When I set her down she belts out her loudest laugh yet. That does it for me and I start to laugh with her. After about ten minutes of constant dancing we finally go and take a seat before the next song starts.

"I don't know what you meant earlier Ruby." She says trying to catch her breath. "You are the best dancing partner I've ever had. That was great." She moves to sit down at a table but I raise a hand to stop her. She looks at me with a question in her eyes. Then I turn and begin towards the balcony. "Ruby, that's reserved for a certain guest. We can't go up there."

I continue over anyway. By the time she catches up I have reached the employee standing by the rope that has a sign hanging from it. The sign says 'reserved.' I look at the employee who stuck out his hand to stop me. "I'm sorry but this space is reserved." I stares down at me. "And you don't look like you could have ever have had enough money for this space. So beat it."

Weiss opens her mouth to speak but I put up my hand again and she stops but fixes her death glare, that we all call the 'Ice queen stare', right on him. I notice him squirm visibly. "Ok, but if you don't mind me asking, just for the sake of argument, who rented the space?"

He reaches to the counter on his left and produces a clip board. "One Ruby Rose." He looks at me again. "Why does that matter?"

I look behind me and notice Weiss has her jaw dropped. I turn back too the man and pat him on the shoulder. "Great. And would you like to know my name. I can promise you that you do."

"Ok I'll bite. What is your name miss?"

"Ruby Rose. And I can prove it." I read into my scroll and pull up an automated school E-mail. "I received this message at twelve thirty P.M. One week ago. This message not only states my name several times but is accompanied by a picture." I hand the scroll to the man.

His fan face becomes slightly darker. "I'm so sorry, miss Rose. Here." He moves the rope. "Here is your scroll. You two have a wonderful night." He hands my scroll back and leaves.

"Come on Weiss." I say as I sit down at the reserved table. "So are you enjoying the night?"

"Ruby... this is more than I ever could have asked for. First you buy us a shop, then you pay to, not only have us go to the most expensive event in all of Vale, but you buy us the only reservable booth in the damn place. My only question is why?" I almost laugh again.

"Weiss, why not? Shouldn't I give it my all for the person that I love the most in this world? What would you do?" I ask her. She seems to ponder this. But shakes her head probably going to come back to it later. "Look, it's a slow dance. Now I ask, will you dance or do you want to rest?"

She stands up and stares at me. "Of course I want to dance. Let's go." She extends her hand towards me, which I gladly accept.

"I would love to." I say. I stand and lead us out to the floor. Once again I take the male standpoint and place my hands on her hips. She wraps her arms around my neck and we begin to sway from side to side. That's when I lean my forehead down and rest it on hers while I gaze into her beautiful, glacier colored eyes and she stares back at mine.

"Ruby?"

"Yes, Weiss?"

"Why do you love my eyes so much? I mean, the scar doesn't distract you at all?" She asks with a mixture of curiosity and trepidation as she awaits my answer.

"Weiss. Your scar is a part of you. I love it the same as I love you. The scar could never distract me from you for that very reason. If I focus on the scar I still see you. One way or another." She begins to blush but she doesn't look away.

"And where did you learn to fly a bullhead?"

"Same place I learned to drive. My uncle Qrow."

"Never saw that coming."

"As much as I'd love to talk, I'd also like for us to be able to enjoy this moment. Let's dance the next couple of hours away then we can ask questions. Okay?"

"Yes. I understand." And then that was all we did for the next couple of hours. We danced. Sometimes slow and loving but also fast enough that we both got dizzy. The only regret I had about the ball was that, like all good things, it had too come to an end.

"Ok Weiss. I think it's time to go. We have to get back with enough time for you to open your gifts and change into something more comfortable before we have to go again." I say.

"Go? Go where?" She asks confused.

"You will see my love. I promise."