Chapter 9

Report."

Brother Blood listened intently to his students as they revealed their first day at Mile High. Jinx could feel the pressure of the headmaster's powers in her mind. He probed her thoughts to be sure she held nothing back.

"Very Good. You have done well."

He collected the encoded data chip of Gizmo's recording device and their reports.

"You are dismissed. Continue to monitor and report to me in two weeks."

Pleased they were doing so well Jinx, Mammoth and Gizmo all left the secret room in the cover housing they maintained as agents of the H.I.V.E. as they executed their mission.

After his students departed Brother Blood turned to a giant monitor which actived.

"Your students are most impressive." a young man said from the screen.

"Thank you, they are at the top of their class. So, Mr. Cane, what do I owe the pleasure of your call today?"

"I just want to know the assessment on the two most distinguished students of Mile High, Alexandra Hill and Leo Maxfert."

"Yes they do seem to be very powerful, why haven't you approached them yet?" Brother Blood asked curious to know the answer.

"Well, they revealed themselves to be very powerful and my uncle Jordon became interested in someone as powerful as a Stronghold. After getting him a picture he looked like he saw a ghost." Mr. Cane said his gaze most pleased by such a discovery.

"So Jordon has seen this Mr. Maxfert before?"

"Not exactly, an alien from another world, a Kryptonian called Jor-el was on a mission to Earth. My parents had escaped a civil war and Jor-el chased them down even after my people were destroyed as a culture." The headmaster remembered Jordon told him that he and his nephew were from another world.

"My uncle says that his features are very similar. This Mr. Maxfert maybe the key to finally freeing my parents from their imprisonment."

"Imprisonment?"

"A different dimension called the Phantom Zone where Krytonians use it as a prison. Eternal Damnation. Neither alive or dead, trapped in a world devoid of life, and unable to find death."

"How dismal, I assume young Mr. Maxfert here might know a way to free them?"

"No."

"Then..." Cane held up a hand and cut off Blood.

"It is of no concern for now. Your students are friends with Mr. Maxfert and are close enough to report anything that will help that project in the future."

"Moving on then" Brother Blood said as they reviewed other operations in the H.I.V.E.

-----------------------------------------------------------

In Eastmerrow Alexandra's dad was working late again. The Maxfert's had already arranged to look after her as he worked the long hours to get the plant up to Mr. Luthor's standard of performance.

The school day had gone really well and Peter had told them about his tryout with the football team to become a starter. They were both happy he did well and could hardly wait to know if he made the team. As the sun began to set Peter went home.

Finished with their homework Leo sat on the couch looking at the stars with his arm around Alexandra. They were best friends, Peter teased them all the time, but they refused to make a change in that arrangement for their own reasons that even under their friends intense merciless questions kept tight lipped.