Chapter 2

The bus rolled through Eastmerrow, even passing the High School. From the window he saw his friend Peter Jones. He told him he was going to another school, for a while, about two days, Peter was mad. After a while Peter let it go. Even though they were in different schools they were still friends. He said as much when he visited Leo. To Leo it felt like he was leaving one life behind and beginning another. Even Mana. He saw her getting out of Whitney Foreman's truck. Her green necklace glowed in the sun catching his eye. He let out a breath, releasing his old life, watching it recede from sight.

The bus continued on.

Leo realized he got lost in his thoughts again, because the bus had stopped and a new passenger got on the bus. One he knew. "Is this the bus to Sky High?" the familiar voice asked. The bus driver confirmed it was the right bus.

Alexandra Hill, his best friend, came down the isle. Her smile seemed to light up everything, like she was glowing.

"Leo!" she shouted. Others cringed at her enthusiasm. Some looked on disapproving at her.

She sat next to him; either ignoring them or just did not see them.

"This is so cool," she said happily. She would have gone on when the bus driver made an announcement to the passengers, "That is everyone, hang on."

Leo looked confused, Alexandra just smiled. "What?" he asked at her look of excitement. Restraints came out from behind the benches. Leo was about to break free when Alexandra put a hand on his shoulder pointing to the driver. Displays and other hidden equipment emerged in front of the driver. Leo thought he heard him say something about going off road.

The whole bus suddenly accelerated. And lifted off the ground!

"Alexandra!" he shouted again about to break out of the belts holding him again when he saw her laughing.

The bus took off into the sky. Alexandra knew Leo was afraid of heights, but was surprised he did not know that the bus could fly. "You did read the handbook right? She asked a little concerned. He nodded staring out at the sky trying not to look at the ground below. "Then why were you surprised the bus took off?" she demonstrated with her hands them flying into the sky just a second ago.

"I thought it was a joke or something?" he said sheepishly.

She began to have a smile, a small dangerous smile, "You know what they say when you assume."

If it was possible he felt dumber and more embarrassed, but he knew she was right. "Speaking of assuming, I was wondering..."

Whatever he was wondering was cut off by the bus driver announcing that they in sight of Mile High. The driver explained that the school was kept afloat by the latest in anti-gravity propulsion. Of course Leo and Alexandra never heard of anti-gravity propulsion so his encouraging words did not comfort her in the slightest. Leo on the other hand was fascinated with the idea.

The bus landed on the floating school. As Leo looked around after getting off the bus he didn't feel he was flying hundreds of feet in the air. The new students all headed up to the school as a group not really knowing where to go or what to do.

While most of the other students were walking up to the school, one was heading toward them.

He wore a white windbreaker with blue and red stripes on the shoulders, a red shirt and jeans. His brown hair was brushed back, and he smiled a welcoming smile as he came closer to them. "Welcome to Sky High." He said officially to the new students.

"My name is Will Stronghold, your student body President. I am sure you are going to enjoy your time here, I know I have." His smile changed a little as if he was remembering something. "Now, just remember to keep away from the edge of the grounds, follow the teachers instructions and I promise you won't fall off." Everyone laughed a little. "Follow me."

Will lead the freshmen to the school gym. He instructed them to wait and then left. After a few moments the doors burst open and a bright ball of light flew into the room. They were all impressed when Principle Cumhacht became visible. "Welcome students," she said to them all, "Today you will go through Power Assessment, to understand what powers you have and how best to help you as you study at Mile High. So good deeds and good luck, let the adventure begin. COMETS AWAY!" She became an orb of energy and flew away. As she disappeared from view a new person came into view from the center of the floor of the gym.

He definitely had the look of a gym teacher, blue hat, sunglasses, like a really ticked off football coach.

"Listen up!" he shouted. All the students never wavered from the man now standing on a platform. "My name is Coach Boomer, when I call your name you will come up here to show me your power. Yes you will do so in front of the entire class. Are we clear?"

They all mumbled. He was not happy with their response. He tried again. "Are we CLLEAAARRR?!" he boomed his voice nearly knocking them all to the floor.

"Yes Coach Boomer, sir!"

Coach Boomer looked at his clipboard and then at the students before him pointing at the kid next to Leo to come up to the platform.