1: The Cave

Merlin was standing behind Arthur, leaning against the wall while Arthur had a meeting with the Knights of the Round Table, who were Sirs Gwaine, Percival, Leon and, more recently, Sir Mordred, Gaius and Guinevere. Even though he was there, sitting next to Arthur's right hand side at the original Round Table over seven years prior, he no longer has a seat amongst his friends, not that he had one in the first place. Why would he? He's not a Knight. He's just a servant and servants can't sit amongst Knights, the King and the Queen like an equal. Even though he doesn't have a seat, he is still required to attend, if only to serve his friends. Though, Merlin thinks that Arthur forgets he's there half the time. He seldom ever calls Merlin over for their drinks to be filled so, more often than not, he doesn't bother bringing a wine pitcher.

Despite what Arthur said on that day, Merlin knew he will never be one of them. Ever. Not unless he revealed his magic, but that's not going to happen. Arthur's hatred for magic has only grown since Uther's death. Even though the Druids are no longer persecuted and there hasn't been a sorcerer's execution in years, it is still outlawed. And Merlin knows that it always will be. Despite what Gaius says, it was his fault. It was his spell that ended Uther's life. He should have known that Morgana and Agravaine would try something.Since then, he has remained vigilant. Always on guard, always looking out for threats that may threaten Camelot, threaten Arthur. And that's why he doesn't trust Mordred. Finna, Kilgharrah, Alator and the Druids have all said the same thing: 'Do not trust the Druid Boy.' And he knows not to. Has seen Mordred strike Arthur down at, Merlin discovered from the prophecy he received only mere days ago, Camlann in a vision shown to him by a Druid Seer on their way to Ismire. Goddess knows he has nightmares about it. And he vows never to let it come to pass.

The young Knight has earned himself a seat at the Round Table, in mere months. A feat that Merlin has yet to achieve. And he's been here for 10 years. Surely that counts for something... Right? Maybe... Maybe Arthur doesn't think of him as a friend, after all. It would certainly explain all the insults to his looks and intelligence... And why he still doesn't have a seat amongst his friends. And that hurts more than he is willing to admit. But, even so, if Merlin isn't Arthur's, the Knights or Guinevere's friend, they are his. Merlin would do almost anything for them, for Arthur. Their lives are worth a thousand of his. Merlin has suspected over the last three years that their friendship is all one-sided. Just like...

Merlin shook his head angrily, getting rid of that thought, furiously with himself. He squeezed his wrist, wincing.

Just as Arthur was about wrap up the meeting, they were all surrounded by a white mist. He knew instantly that this was magic, feeling it flow through and around him. The others felt this too, for they immediately unsheathed their swords. Gaius tensed slightly and Mordred locked eyes with Merlin who pushed himself off of the wall and walked towards them. Arthur had pushed Guinevere behind him to protect her. "Sorcery." Arthur hissed, angrily. Merlin's chest ached.

Suddenly the mist grew brighter and transported all of them from the council chambers, to somewhere  else. Transporting oneself with magic is a very strange feeling. for it feels like he is dissolving in tiny particles all at once, being moved from once place to another in a matter of seconds. When they appeared again, Merlin landed quite gracefully while the rest of the entourage who collapsed on the ground. Though Mordred managed to stayed on his feet too, he stumbled slightly. Merlin looked around. It appeared that they were in some sort of cave and a shimmering waterfall, that seemed to be sparkling, was flowing on the far wall. Merlin could feel the pure magic from the cave and it was beautiful. Merlin knew that this wasn't a trap. So why are they here?

Arthur and everyone else started to stand up and then Arthur looked at Merlin as if he hadn't noticed he was there. Merlin's  chest ached, but he ignored it, his earlier  suspicions confirmed. "How on earth, did you manage to stay on your feet, whilst the rest of us were on the floor?" Arthur's tone and facial expression showed confusion and shock.