92. Thanksgiving

Patrick Stump:

"Is everything ready?" You asked Patrick as you hurried around the living room, tidying up quickly.

Patrick held Declan, nuzzling his nose into Declan's neck. "Yes, the guest bedroom is all cleaned and so is every other room in the house.

"Okay, my parents will be here in ten minutes." You nervously straightened the pictures on the mantle. "And everything needs to be perfect."

Patrick set Declan onto the floor and let him toddle away. "Babe, everything looks great. Tonight is gonna be fine." He wrapped his arms around your waist.

You sighed and rested your chin on his shoulder. "This is the first time they've seen us since Declan was born two years ago. I'm just really worried."

He pressed a kiss to your forehead. "Don't worry. It'll be fine."

"You're right...but maybe we could pretend Declan's sick, so they could leave early," you suggested.

Patrick kissed you quickly. "You're cute when you're flustered."

The doorbell rang then, making Declan squeal excitedly.

You wished that you shared his enthusiasm. This Thanksgiving would end like every other one; after all, what was a holiday dinner without a little family drama?

>>>>>

"Wow honey." Your mom leaned against the kitchen counter, sipping white wine from a glass. "You really upgraded from that small apartment of yours. This house actually has more than one room."

You gritted your teeth as you mashed potatoes together. "Well mother, when Declan was born Patrick and I decided that we needed more room."

"Oh Declan." She sipped from the glass. "Such an interesting name. Is it Scottish?"

"Irish mother," you corrected. "It means 'full of goodness.'"

Your mom set her wine glass down. "Interesting," she repeated, a suggestive hint in her voice.

"What is it?" You sighed and turned to her.

She leaned towards you. "Did you choose that name?"

"Patrick and I agreed on it." You crossed your arms over your chest. "What's this about?"

Your mom set her glass on the counter. "It just seems that a lot of decisions regarding you and Declan have been made with a father whom is rarely around."

"Are you serious?" You raised an eyebrow. "You can't be."

She shrugged. "Think about it, honey. Patrick is always on tour, or he's recording in the studio, or flying around the country for interviews-"

"Mom," you snapped, "he's really not gone as much as you think, and when he is, Declan and I survive. We talk every night that he's on tour and he never misses the big events of Declan's life."

"I'm just saying-"

"I know what you're 'just saying,' but this is what I'm saying." You turned to the stove and grabbed the pot of potatoes. "Patrick is just as involved in Declan's life as I am and therefore has just as much of a say. Like it or not, this is my marriage, and my son, and my life; and if you don't like it, feel free to leave my house."