27. Runaways Pt. 3 (Joe Trohman)

Sunlight filtered into the blinds of the little hotel room you were renting out, making you roll onto your side and pull a pillow over your head. You reached for your phone, half awake, and touched nothing but air for a few seconds, before your fingers closed around the device.

You held your phone away from your face and squinted at the bright LED screen.

34 Messages and 19 missed calls from Afro Dude.

Afro Dude: Babe. I'm really sorry for what I said, please come home. I'm really worried about you.

Afro Dude: (Y/N) come on please. I fucked up, I know, but I'm really sorry. I'm worried about you.

Afro Dude: Answer me dammit. You can't just walk out on me like that.

Afro Dude: I love you. I hope wherever you are tonight you're safe.

You set the phone on the dresser and sighed.

Walking out on Joe was a pretty dramatic move, but you were upset and he was upset; it just seemed like the right idea at the time.

Your phone buzzed again. Another call from Joe.

Your fingers itched to answer the call and let him know you were okay, but you refrained.

Instead, you pulled the Greyhound bus schedule from where you left it carefully folded on the nightstand. The bus you were taking left in a couple hours, it would be taking you back to your home in Indiana.

>>>>>>>

You pulled Joe's sweatshirt closer to you as you walked out of the bus station to the spot where your bus was parked.

As you made your way through the crowd of people, you noticed Joe leaning against the side of the bus you were scheduled to ride on.

"I wasn't sure you'd actually be here." Joe said from behind you.

You stopped a few feet in front of him, holding your bag to your chest.

"I was worried about you last night, since you didn't return any of my messages or phone calls." He crossed his arms over his chest.

You looked away, keeping quiet.

"Say something." Joe said quietly. "Anything."

Your eyes met slowly and you bit your lip. "My bus is leaving soon."

His face fell, and he chuckled cynically. "So that's it then? You're leaving me."

"I gotta go my own way." You shrugged.

He walked towards you. "What about us?"

The bus driver honked the bus horn. "You coming?" She asked.

You looked at Joe longingly; he looked like he was going to cry. "I gotta go, but I'll miss you." You turned away from him.

"Baby please stay." His voice cracked. "I need you."

The bus driver rolled his eyes and honked the horn. "Come on."

"(Y/N)." Joe's eyes watered. "I'll do better this time, I promise you. I'll do whatever it takes. Please don't go."

You wiped your eyes and turned back to him. "I love you Joe." You kissed him quickly and wrapped your arms around him.

He hugged you back tightly. "I love you too." He mumbled into your hair and kissed your forehead.

"Take care of yourself." You kissed his cheek and mounted the bus.

You chose a seat on the other side of the bus and closed your eyes so you wouldn't have to see Joe as the bus pulled away from the station.

So this is what it feels like to say goodbye. You thought as you leaned your head against the window and cried silently.