Surprise Visit

Aurora and Jessie were out in the field training with magic for growing and weather control. So far about twenty new trees littered the field they were using and multiple craters had been formed by lightning strikes from storms. Whenever Aurora got tired, Draco would lend her some of his energy and power. Jessie was getting a bit bored of practicing the same thing over and over.

“Come on Aurora, I want to practice controlling the elements. That is the only fun thing we’ve learnt today.”

Jessie begged her friend for the fifth time. After rolling her eyes, Aurora finally agreed. They started throwing fireballs at each other, until Aurora decided to mix it up a bit, she blew away Jessie’s fireball and used wind to push her back. Jessie retaliated by lifting the earth to create a wall, and then flinging pebbles at Aurora. The two girls kept this up until they both collapsed from over exertion. After having a break, they got up to start again, and this time Jessie had a suggestion.

“Let’s have a battle, fire against water.”

Breeze was flying slowly so that the other dragon behind him could keep up, since he was the faster of the two. He began descending, after recognising the landscape as that of the academy. His eyes picked up two senior students battling with each other using fire and water, and he quickly sent a message to his rider.

“Tam, it looks like the war has already reached the academy yet neither of those two are riders of a fire or water dragon.”

His rider processed this thought before sending one back, filled with shock.

“That’s my sister, and her best friend, they aren’t fighting, but they are practicing. We need to take Paul away, before he attacks.”

Breeze nodded before relaying a message back to Paul.

“Captain, those two down there aren’t actually fighting, they are just practicing magic. Do not attack them!”

Paul nodded in reply before flying down to land in the same field.

Jessie had just trapped Aurora in a ball of water when suddenly a mighty fire dragon flew down and landed in front of her, breaking the spell. Aurora spluttered as the water ball collapsed around her. She stared up in awe at the creature; she had seen fire dragons before, but never one as strong as this. A cry of happiness was heard from Jessie as another smaller dragon landed, and a girl who looked very similar jumped off her back.

“Tamica, I’ve missed you!”

Jessie shouted to her sister, who was riding on the back of the smaller dragon. Aurora still couldn’t take her eyes off the large fire dragon. She lifted her gaze and saw the man on its back for the first time. Nothing could have prepared her for the feeling of power that radiated off him. She glanced over at her friend, who was rapidly talking to her older sister, and glanced at Tamica’s dragon Breeze before looking at the man astride the large dragon again. He swiftly dismounted, before approaching her.

“Take me to the person in charge, I am here for a purpose.”

Paul attempted to command the young girl before him, but she didn’t appear to listen to him.

“I said take me to the person in charge, I am here for a purpose.”

She just looked at him blankly, before saying something that really irritated him.

“Only if you say please!”

After asking the annoying girl as nicely as he could, she began to lead him forward, towards the main building. A question popped into his mind.

“I can tell by the level of power you possess that you are actually a rider, so where is your dragon?”

Aurora heard this and thought nothing of the question at first, how she would regret that.

“Oh, he is still young and weak. I can only get so much power from him because he is an aether dragon, he is training in combat with my friend’s dragon, in that grove over there. I will call him if you want.”

Aurora saw something in the man’s eyes, something that she wasn’t sure she liked. He appeared to be power hungry, and she wondered for the first time what he was doing here.

“Oh, you don’t need to do that; I just need to see the headmaster.”