Fire and Water

Fire and Water

Tidal waves were breaking over raging fires, putting them out in an instant, only to have them spring back into action, more wild than ever. Dragons battled against one another, flames spurting out through their mouths, licking the scales of the dragons they were battling against. There were two distinctive sides in the battle. The dragons controlling water had scales in any shades of blue possible, each being slightly different to the other. The dragons controlling fire had scales ranging from orange to red. Some of them had a human on their back, the others fought alone. This war had been going for three weeks without pause, and the soldiers, both dragon and human, grew weary. Two generals overlooked all the fighting from a cliff. One was cyan in colour, and she had complete command over the water dragons. Her name suited her colour, Aqua. The other had bright orange scales, and he controlled the fire dragons, as much as one could control a fire dragon. His name suited his temperament, Blaze. Both had riders, but these people were more delicate than the dragons, and were reclining in separate tents a small way away from the two dragons.

“This fighting must come to an end. Both sides need to rest. Your fire soldiers are tiring as much as my water warriors. This war should be between us, not them.”

 Aqua stated her mind, looking sternly at Blaze as she did so. Both of them had been fighting for a long time, on and off. These two dragons were both scarred, but Aqua had less upon her, as she took more caution in a battle, whereas Blaze just charged in. His pride appearing to be slightly wounded by the fact that Aqua had insulted his soldiers’ strength and endurance, but as he looked out over his ranks, he realised she was right.

“I don’t know about you, but all of my soldiers volunteered to fight in this war, they knew how hard it would be. I will agree with you just this once though, we will call a rest. Do you agree to one week of peace?”

Blaze asked after making his point. Aqua nodded her head before roaring out over her warriors, making her voice heard by all. A second later Blaze joined his voice to the roar and they both cut off at the same time. Both the forces began to retreat off the battlefield and went over to the place that they had made camp. The field they had just left was covered in bodies and blood, both that of humans and dragons. Nearly all the bodies were slightly charred from the constant fires that came from the bellies of all dragons.

Aqua came out to have a look at this sad sight, her rider, Mark, standing beside her. She shook her head in sorrow, all the while calling up a large wave to wash away all the blood. Mark joined his power with hers and the wave washed through the field, leaving the bodies there so that they could be sent to grieving families for a proper goodbye. Dragon and rider gave everything one last sad glance, looked at each other, and walked back inside.

The clearing was filled with calls of sorrow from all of the fighters who had lost family and friends. The saddest call was one of a rider who had lost their dragon, or a dragon who had lost a rider.

In the tents up the top, Blaze was talking to his rider.

“The soldiers are tiring too much, we need reinforcements. It doesn’t help that we are versing a stronger element. I need you to go out rounding up others, make sure these ones are trained properly, Paul.”

Blaze requested of his rider, and the young man nodded.

“How will I get around to the towns? I can run far and fast, but I can’t go forever.”

Blaze looked at his rider thoughtfully.

“I will command one of the riderless dragons to take you from place to place. Do you still have that translation gem I gave you?”

The dragon asked his rider, who nodded in answer.

Paul strode out of the tent, fingering the little stone that was on a necklace he constantly wore. This little stone could translate anything spoken to him, and could translate his voice so anyone could understand him. These stones were exceptionally rare, and he was lucky to have it. He walked over to the tents and selected a strong young dragon, one who was mostly uninjured.

“You, here, now.”

The dragon rushed over to do what his commander had told him to do.

“Yes sir? What do you need?”

Paul was thinking about how well this young dragon would complete the task needed.

“I need you to carry me. This is an order from general Blaze. He is busy here with the forces we have, but I need to go and gather reinforcements. Will you do this?”

The young dragon nodded eagerly and went over to the saddling area. Paul tapped his foot impatiently, they needed these reinforcements within the next week. Once the dragon was saddled, they left.