Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

I roamed around the streets of Styx, mostly gathering toys and food for the orphans near the docks. I usually only visited them on a strict schedule, so that they wouldn't depend on me, but I figured since I was in town, I'd do it anyway.

The rich smells of hot food, exotic music hanging in the air, people bustling back and forth, chattering and laughing without a care in the world. The shopping district was especially busy because of the weekend shoppers.

I managed to pass in and out without problems. I headed down the street, wanting to walk to the docks when I passed an electronics shop, slowing to a halt with a frown turning down my lips as I saw the news report. A few other shoppers had gathered to gawk at the screen as the succubus news reporter read from a card in her well-manicured hand.

"... attempt on Lord Theo's mother, Aria, late last night between the times of two and three in the morning. The guards claim they have no idea what happened to the suspect. He was last seen disappearing through the drain pipe in the town square. Authorities are asking that anyone with any information on the suspect please report it immediately." She informed, then turned to the red-headed bitch herself as she looked right into the camera with blood red eyes.

"And whoever the stupid," She swore and the camera bleeped it out, "Was that made this attempt on my life will sorely regret it should he try again. I will have you publicly executed by method of a slow and painful gutting." I grimaced.

Son of a bitch. She was smarter than I thought.

I turned course from the docks and went straight to the cute little Goth shop that Kristoff and his girlfriend, Bella, owned. There was a long line of customers out the front door of people trying to get in and out with bags of clothing you'd wear to a Goth rave. Did that even make sense? I shook it off and went around through the narrow alley between their shop and the one next to it. I got in through the back and slipped inside with ease.

I could've teleported, but I didn't want to lose all of my things in the process. Teleportation was a tricky ability and ever fickle on location. I trusted my legs more than I trusted teleportation. I went up the stairs to the Gothic studio apartment.

And sitting on a black leather sofa was Kristoff bandaging up his ravaged shoulder, his hair swept back from his face with a bat designed headband. As soon as he saw me, he was on his feet and holding a gun at me. He hit the trigger without a second, though, but I stopped the bullet seconds from hitting me Superman-style, only letting it fall to the floor. Kristoff curled his lip at me and threw the gun down on the sofa.

"I told you it wasn't going to be easy!" He snarled. I gave him a blank stare.

"I never said it was going to be. I just said to do it."

"I'm not going back there. The bitch nearly took my head off. She makes Freddy Krueger look like Barney and Friends! And I have a pregnant girlfriend to worry about." Kristoff added angrily. I blinked, caught off guard. I hadn't even noticed. The vampiress was a petite woman with a curvy figure and decked out in Goth from head to toe. Not to mention, I hadn't passed her on the way up considering I was illegally breaking and entering, but who gave two shits?

"I didn't know she was pregnant."

"Neither did I," Kristoff said past clenched teeth, "She decided to tell me when I showed up this morning bleeding so badly that I needed blood and when I tried to drink from her, she told me she was pregnant. What a way to find out." Vampires could get pregnant, contrary to popular opinion. They weren't the undead zombies that people thought they were. At least, not Kristoff's origin anyway. His species of vampire was very much alive, and the cousins to the ever fun wendigos. Human flesh, or more precisely, human blood is what fed them and kept them immortal. A type of demon from a Native American tribe.