Typical Morning

Phil

I walked into the livingroom to see Dan asleep on the floor again, empty liquor bottles surrounding him. I counted 5 bottles- that's better than last night's count of almost 10. I hate to say this is a normal thing for me to wake up to; my drunk boyfriend, laying on the floor, sleeping next to empty bottles and sometimes vomit. It's my fault, too. But that's my reality now.

I step over him to collect the empty bottles and throw them away. After doing so, I come back to the living room and crouch next to Dan's head. He always looks so cute when he's alseep.

"Dan, babe, it's morning. You slept on the floor again. Come on, gotta get up." I shook his arm slightly. After a few more attempts to wake him, I give up and pick him up. He's surprisingly light for a 6 foot tall man. I've also carried him many times before, so I guess I'm used to it.

I brought him to his bedroom and carefully lifted the covers with my foot before setting him down on the bed. I tucked him in and kissed his forehead.

"Sleep well, Dan. I love you." I whispered as I shut of his light and closed the door almost all the way.

I decided to go to the kitchen for breakfast. I grabbed a bowl, spoon, milk, and box of Shreddies, before heading back to the living room and turning on the TV to watch the Great British Bake-Off. Pouring the cereal into the bowl, then the milk, I remember how Dan and I used to do this every morning. We'd get our cereal or make waffles and sit on the couch, and we'd watch anime or American Horror Story together. Together. That word seems more like a memory than an adverb. Dan and I don't do much together anymore, since he started going to clubs or bars almost daily. But that's a typical morning for me; listing off memories and watching TV while Dan is sleeping in his room. It used to be hard to say this is normal, but by now it's just a habit.
------------------------------------------------------------------

"Phil!" Dan called my name just as I finished my breakfast. I started cleaning up as I answered him.

"Yes, Dan?" I yelled.

"How the hell did I get in my room? I fell asleep on the couch."

"Actually, you fell alseep on the floor, and I brought you in here so you could be comfortable when you woke up." I replied, stepping into his room and opening the shades to his windows slowly.

"Oh, well thanks babe." I walked to him as he stood up slowly and hugged him tight.

"No problem, Dan." I kissed him softly. "Now, you up for breakfast?"

"Fuck yes, I'm starving." He answered. He doesn't seem to have too bad of a hangover, which is good. I took his hand an guided him to the kitchen just in case he stumbled.

"What would ya like? We have cereal, some pancakes from yesterday. I could make some waffles if you'd like, or eggs." I asked.

"I'll have eggs, I guess." He said. "But I'll make them. You already do so much around here, I should start doing something."

"Okay, well I'll just be in the living room then. I love you Dan."

"Love you too, Phil." He kissed my cheek before getting to work on his eggs. I smiled before going to the living room. The Great British Bake-Off had ended, so I put on Attack on Titan. A few minutes later Dan came in, eggs steaming in a plate and a cup of coffee in his hand.

"Why do you have a coffee? You don't really drink it." I observed.

Dan laughed a little. "It's not for me, stupid. It's for you."

"Y-you made me a coffee? Dan, that's so sweet."

"Not as sweet as you baby." He sat down, placing his plate on the table and the coffee in my cold hands. It warmed them like a bath in a hot spring. Dan smiled as I took a sip.

"Why did you make this for me?" I questioned.

"Because you do so much for me, and I never return the favor."

"Well thank you, Dan. It means a lot."

We watched TV for what seemed like hours. After Dan had finished his eggs, he pulled me closer to him and I snuggled in close. I loved every moment.

Dan got up to go to the bathroom, and I cleaned up his plate and my empty cup. I plopped back into the couch, and soon so did Dan. We cuddled up again and watched old movies for the entire day. It seemed like a dream.

Only it wasn't a dream.

It was a reality.

A reality that would only last for today, and tomorrow it'd be right back to the way things were yesterday; Dan going to bars and clubs and coming home drunk and hateful, leaving me to always clean up his mess. And one of these sweet, memorable realities wouldn't come again. Not for a long, long time. So I enjoyed every moment like it was the last, because in a way, it kind of was.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for reading!!

-YesItsDorky