Beginning Of An End

"It is a good nickname." Taylor huffed, crossing his arms in the process.

I rolled my eyes, "Only you."

Smiling, Taylor readjusted his glasses and turned to face the window, "Look, the suns coming up."

He was right, the horizon was painted in a blue and red blaze. The trees were lit on fire from the color, growing brighter every moment. The world had become alive again,

"I guess we should get back? It's about an hour drive home."

Taylor nodded but said nothing as he gazed outdoors,

"Why do you come up here?"

"To see this."

I gestured to the sun and glanced over at Taylor who had been staring at me intently, "What?"

His head snapped forward, his face sprinkled with blush, "What?"

I rolled my eyes and chuckled, "Aright, let's get going."

I slowly put the car in reverse and pulled away from the edge of our plateau. As we drove back down the mountain the sunrise lit the back of the car turning my vision into a warm haze. Smiling to myself, I threw Taylor my phone and he knowingly scrolled through my music.

He settled on something soft for the morning, just like he knew I liked it.

##/##

The drive back was quicker than I thought as I pulled into Taylor's drive way, "I'll see you later then, yeah?"

"Yeah, for sure..." there was a long pause between us as we sat in an uncomfortable silence. Doing m y best to break the tension I laughed, "Don't call me drunk anymore, idiot!"

Taylor cracked a small smile but the light didn't reach his eyes, "I won't."

His words sounded more definite than I hoped and I watched as he made his way to the door of his home. With one last sigh, I pulled out of his driveway and back onto the road

My mind was swimming with thoughts that I pushed away. Not thinking was better than feeling.

Taylor and I lived closer than I realized as I parked the car in my driveway. I sat for a while in the interior as I replayed the events of the night over and over again.

Shaking my head, I slipped out of the car and back into the house, creeping back into my room and closing the door behind me. Kicking off my shoes I crawled under my blankets doing my best to calm myself.

My heart was thumping wildly, and not from excitement.