Night Drives

I cherished few things in the world; the car my parents bought me, my idiot of a best friend, coffee, and sleep.

Do you know the soft lull of sleep that pulls you in and out like an ocean current? When your own mind feels like it's being wrapped in a satin sheet; hugged warmly by the idea of calmness?

People always describe it as a "peaceful sleep" but that's far too plain... too cold... too simple. Sleep in itself is a wonderful melting thing. Dreams behind eyelids and worries are lost for hours. It's almost a way to forget until tomorrow. A way to bridge the senses from all fear. It's beautiful.

It's like tasting sunlight in the morning, or being softly waken to the scent of pancakes. The first sip of coffee on a chilly morning. A gentle beginning to a gentle end.

I love it.

So, when I was woken abruptly, with hazy vision and frantic movements in search of shutting off my phone at 1 a.m...

I was pissed.

##/##

I snatched my phone from my bed side charger; my heart pounding from the blaring noise it had made. Taylors name flashed across the screen along with his blurry picture from when we had gone mini golfing. Panic washed over me; why in the hell was he calling me and what was wrong?

"Hello?" I asked after jamming the accept button and smashing the phone to me ear, "are you ok?"

"Saaaav! Heyyyy..." He shouted my nickname and dragged on into a giggly greeting, "I just wanted to say... hiiii."

"Taylor, are you drunk?"

Noise clattered in the background and I pressed the phone closer to my ear. Loud voices and rock music became more prevalent as Taylor hiccuped, "Oooof course nooot. But... could you come and maybe... do me a favoor?"

I sat up straighter, "Where are you? I'm coming to get you."

He giggled again, "Oh, you're the best! The veryyy best... Like Ash!" he paused for a moment then began to mumble the lyrics to the Pokémon theme song, "Gotta catch them... gotta be the best... train them..."

"Hey kid, focus! Where are you?" I demanded again, rushing out of my bed and pulling my hair into a ponytail.

"Ohhh, right. Um the coal place? I think... Hey Sav! I guess I've been naughty!"

' I slapped my hand to my forehead, "Jesus Christ kid, I'll be there in 20. Don't move!"

"But I gotta catch them all..."

"Taylor!" I snapped.

"Mmkay, byeeee!"

I rolled my eyes, tossing my phone to the side. Taylor had never called me before, never. I was confused on more than one accounts but he was far drunker than I could imagine and I needed to be at the edge of town in 20 minutes.

The Refinery was the most known bar in our city, mostly because it served to underage kids; for a fee of course. Not that I was a drinker, but in a small town, everyone knows everything. And I knew for a fact Taylor was 19 and not able to hold his liquor.

I slid on a pair of Nike shorts and threw a blue senior class hoodie over my head before stuffing my phone in its pocket. Sneaking across the house, I snagged my keys and crept out the backdoor.

This kid was gonna pay for this favor. I ran around the house and to my car before hopping in and peeling out of the driveway.

It wasn't until I got out of the neighborhood did I let out the breath I had been holding. I sighed, what was going on? And why in the world did Taylor call me, of all people?

##/##

The Refinery was lit in blues and greens when I pulled into its parking lot. I checked the time; exactly 20 minutes showed on my phones screen. I put the car in park and hopped out of the driver's seat. I considered calling Taylor but with my luck he wouldn't even pick up,

"Hey," I nodded to the bouncer at the front door, "I'm looking for my friend Taylor? Tall kid, skinny, blonde, glasses?"

The guy stared at me before shaking his head, "I'm not letting you in."

"I'm not asking you too?" I raised an eyebrow, "Could you just see if he's-"

"SAV!" I was interrupted by Taylor barging out the door, smiling widely at me, "I'm sooo glad you're here!"

I tilted my head toward Taylor while staring at the bouncer as if to say, "see?" I turned to my incredibly intoxicated friend, pinching the bridge of my nose in disbelief, "Come on kid, let's go."

"Buttt..."

"Nope."

I gripped his arm and walked him to the passenger side of my car. It was more than a hassle to get him in and even worse when I tried to buckle him up. But I slammed the door in success and slid back into the driver's seat.

I glared at him as I backed out and onto the road, "God, you're so stupid."
"Whaaaat?"

"Where am I taking you? Back home I presume?"

"NO!" He shouted so loud I nearly swerved into oncoming traffic.

"Jesus Christ, Taylor! What the hell? Fine, where then?"

"Anywhere but there. Just not there. Anywhere." He slurred his words and rested his head against the window in defeat.

"Fine." I muttered and turned onto the highway.

"I'm just gonna... I'm just gonna... I'm just...I..." Taylor slowly closed his eyes and fell into a soft sleep.

I scoffed, this kid made me pick him up at 1 in the morning and he gets to sleep? Whatever.

I hit the Bluetooth button on the car and settled into my seat as music began to run throughout the vehicle. I guess I would just have to let him sleep for a bit. Especially with where I was taking him.

##/##

Ah man, things are just beginning for these two. Get ready for some serious flashbacks and intense emotions. Things get pretty crazy pretty quick.