6

The monsters are going from room to room. Rae is in the lead. So far, they've not seen the human and it's very frustrating. This has never happened before. Rae starts to doubt she's even still in the basement.

"Go back up stairs. You, search the first floor. You, search the second," she orders her minions. "We'll find her."

The minions' footsteps trail away. Rae's eyes narrow. She's staying in the basement. There's a good chance the host thinks she can hide. It's dark down here, but Rae can see. If the host is anywhere down there, she'll find her.

Down the hall, a baby's cry suddenly pierces the silence. Recognition sparks in Rae's glowing eyes. Bingo. Her shoes click clack on the floor as she works toward the sound. Her mouth is watering, dripping goopy puddles on the concrete floor. The crying continues.

Rae burst into the boiler room. Her face is contorted into the creature she actually is and she's furious. "Where are you, girl? I want that baby!" Her words are heavy and cruel.

The sound leads her to a door. Usually, she gets a sick pleasure out of forcing the host to watch her enjoy the meal, but this host has been too much trouble. She opens the door, ready to attack the host.

But the host is not there. The baby is there. Alone. Defenseless. Savory. A gloop of monster saliva drips from Rae's twisted lips. She reaches for the infant hungrily.

Behind Rae stands Taylor, drenched in sweat, blood, and amniotic fluid. In her hand, she holds a broken mop handle. As Rae reaches for the newborn, Taylor shoves the mop handle into her back. She has to shove with all her might, but it goes through.

The monster howls a screechy scream that makes Taylor wince. She lets go of the handle and shoves the thing aside. Pushing past it, she takes Sophia gently in her hands and holds her close. She steps over the monster as it screeches and writhes on the floor. Blue blood is pooling around it. In the blue mess, Taylor sees her cell phone. Cradling Sophia with one hand, she bends and picks up the phone.

It's only a matter of time before the other monsters come to check on their leader. Taylor ignores her aching body and runs, somewhat unsteadily, out of the boiler room. She wipes the phone on her messy gown and dials Mark.

"Taylor?" Mark says cautiously.

"It's me, Mark." She staggers back into the laundry room and retrieves Sophia's diaper bag.

"Thank God! Are you okay? Where are you?"

She's about to climb a set of stairs.

"Rosehill Hospital," she says, somewhat strenuously. "I'm about to go out the left exit on the first floor."

"I'm close. Since I got here, I've been driving around town trying to find you. I was so worried. I've called the cops..."

Taylor gasps as she exits the stairs. One of the monsters is down the hallway. He looks at her.

"Hurry, Mark!" she screams as she runs.

The baby had calmed, but now it starts crying again.

"Taylor! Is that Sophia? Did you have her? What's going on?" Mark yells into the phone.

Taylor doesn't reply. She's busy running. The phone is in her hand, wrapped around Sophia to keep her as steady as possible. The monster is close behind, but Taylor is desperate and her adrenaline is boosting her. She bursts out of the exit and keeps going.

A car is going by and Taylor screams at the driver, "Help!" But he only half stops, looks terrified, then speeds off.

Taylor keeps going and a cop car turns the corner. She doesn't look back, but keeps going, panting madly. She knows the monster is gaining on her. The cop car stops and the officer gets out. Tires squeal as Mark pulls up behind him.

"Stop!" The cop orders, looking passed Taylor. "Back away from her!"

Taylor runs straight toward Mark. Even when she feels a tug on the strap of the diaper bag, she keeps going and it slips away. The officer lets off two gunshots.