A Stranger Welcome

I was skeptic of the boat that the stranger had. It was very large and seemed sturdy, but I felt very suspicious about all of this. They man himself had threatened us, and what was he doing wherever he was alone? His dark hair made his brown coat seem too light to be brown, but he did not seem like a man of death. He simply seemed like a man of stricted rules. I felt my eyes narrow more as he moved the last of the worn barrels we rode onto his boat. I stepped forward, wanting to speak with him, but Thorin pulled me back.

"Let Balin do the talking," Thorin said lowly.

"What makes you think I will help you?" The stranger walked onto his boat.

"Those boots have seen better days," Balin answered. "And seeing that boat, I would imagine that you have some hungry mouths to feed." He smiled. "How many bearings?"

The stranger stood in front of Balin, grabbing the one of the last barrels. "A boy and two girls." He moved the barrel onto the boat.

Balin nodded. "And your wife, I imagine, is a beauty."

The stranger stopped and lifted his head. "You're right. She was."

I paused. Was. My eyes lowered as I tried not to say anything.

Balin shook his head. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to--"

Dwalin seemed to snarl as he turned to Balin. "Oh, come on. Enough of the niceties."

The stranger turned to Dwalin with raised brows. "What's your hurry?"

"What's it to you," Dwalin replied.

"I would like to know who you are," The stranger walked toward us, "and what you are doing in these lands." He stood in front of Balin.

Balin smiled as he shook his head, assuring the stranger no harm. "We are simple merchants from the Blue Mountains journeying to see our kin in the island hills."

The stranger nodded. "Simple merchants you say." He moved the last barrel onto his boat.

Thorin stepped forward. "We need food, supplies, weapons. Can you help us?"

The stranger looked down at the barrels, touching their bondings lightly. "I know where these barrels came from."

"What of it," Thorin asked.

"I don't know what business you had with the Elves, but I don't think it ended well." The stranger stood before Thorin, but looked at Caleniel."Did you leave your kingdom?"

"I was banished," Caleniel replied.

"For what crime?"

Caleniel stayed silent.

"I should not have asked. It was not my business." The stranger nodded and looked at Thorin. "The fact that you have a banished Elf with you sets you in no sort of favor with them. No one enters lake town without approval of the master. He has good trade with the Woodland Realm." He lifted some rope. "He will see you in iron chains before he welcomes you." He threw the rope at Balin.

Thorin looked at Balin. "Offer more," he whispered.

Balin made small grunt, and the stranger walked to the other side of his boat with his arrows and bow. Balin looked at the stranger. "I'll wager our way through will be unseen."

The stranger paused. "Aye, but for that," he placed his bow and arrows down, "you will need a smuggler."

Balin was at his side. "For which we will pay double."

The stranger stood up straight as his eyes shifted on Balin. "You can promise this?"

"Indeed we can." Balin smiled.